N.J. Legislature Weighs Smaller Cigarette Tax Hike
- N.J. Senate Panel, Awaiting Details, Sits on Budget Bill. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;6/25/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31415, p4
Reports the proposal of governor James E. McGreevey of a budget in New Jersey. Need for legislation increasing the cigarette tax to bridge the fiscal 2003 budget deficit; Lack of budget document available for the public to review; Assessment of alternative minimum tax on businesses.
- N.J. Governor Eyes Tobacco For '03 Plan. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;3/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31353, p1
Reports the proposed budget for tobacco bonds by Governor James E. McGreevey in Trenton, New Jersey. Restructure of state authorities to help close a budget deficit; Proposal for increase in the cigarette tax; Pledge of McGreevey to support school construction program.
- New Jersey Governor's Budget Balancing Draws Agency Attention. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;2/14/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31325, p3
Focuses on the plans of New Jersey governor James E. McGreevey for the fiscal budget of 2003. Impact of revenue shortfalls on the budget; Credit ratings set by Standard & Poor's Corp.
- N.J. Governor to Address $2.9B Shortfall. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;1/29/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31313, p4
Reports that U.S. Democratic governor James E. McGreevey will address New Jersey's growing budget shortfall at a joint session of the U.S. legislature. Amount of budget shortfall in December 2002.
- McGreevey Says Borrow For Budget. Ambrosio, Gillian D' // Bond Buyer;2/25/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31828, p1
Calling the New Jersey economy "the envy of the Northeast," Governor James E. McGreevey unveiled his proposed $26.3 billion fiscal 2005 budget, which is balanced in part with $1.5 billion of revenue bonds backed by motor vehicle fines and a hike in the cigarette tax. However, a spokesman for...
- Entering the Garden Spate. Ambroso, Jill D. // Bond Buyer;7/19/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31928, p1
Reports that Casino Reinvestment Development Authority will bring a variety of sizable offerings to market in the second half of 2004, including revenue bonds from an Ivy League university in New Jersey. Expected net money from the sale of appropriation bonds through the Economic Development...
- N.J. Eyes $2B Referndum. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;10/14/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31739, p1
Reports on the consideration of a bond referendum issuance by New Jersey Governor James E. McGreevey. Total amount of bonds the Governor proposed to issue; Proceeds of the sale; Condition on the inclusion of the referendum in the 2004 ballot.
- Time for Some Bipartisanship. // Business News New Jersey;2/18/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p14
Announces the plans of governor James E. McGreevey to reduce the state budget of New Jersey. Reaction of the public to the plans; Responsibilities of a governor; Influence of Democrats in the State Senate.
- The Two Budget Deficits. // Business News New Jersey;5/6/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 19, p18
Editorial. Comments on the debate over the state budget for fiscal 2003 in New Jersey. Business tax proposals of Governor James E. McGreevey; Factors contributing to the state budget deficit; Reduction in sales tax revenues.