On cholesterol watch
- Taking Three To Heart: Know The Cholesterol Three. // Tennessee Tribune;10/28/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 43, p11B
The article offers tips on how to raise the high-density lipoprotein levels (HDL) and decrease the adverse effects of the low-density lipoprotein (LDL).
- Cholesterol Quiz. Zipes, Douglas P. // Saturday Evening Post;Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 283 Issue 2, p78
The article discusses cholesterol, and covers topics such as cholesterol's production in the liver, cell health in the body, and the difference between low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein.
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio is the best surrogate marker for insulin resistance in non-obese Japanese adults. Kawamoto, Ryuichi; Tabara, Yasuharu; Kohara, Katsuhiko; Miki, Tetsuro; Kusunoki, Tomo; Takayama, Shuzo; Abe, Masanori; Katoh, Tateaki; Ohtsuka, Nobuyuki // Lipids in Health & Disease;2010, Vol. 9, p138
Background: The aim of the present study was to examine how lipid profiles are associated with insulin resistance in Japanese community-dwelling adults. Methods: This cross-sectional study included 614 men aged 58 � 14 (mean � standard deviation; range, 20-89) years and 779 women aged 60 �...
- Plasma LDL and HDL characteristics and carotenoid content are positively influenced by egg consumption in an elderly population. Greene, Christine M.; Waters, David; Clark, Richard M.; Contois, John H.; Fernandez, Maria Luz // Nutrition & Metabolism;2006, Vol. 3, p1
Background: Approximately 1/3 of individuals have a high plasma response to dietary cholesterol (hyper-responders). Although increases in both LDL and HDL cholesterol have been observed, limited data exist regarding effects of egg consumption on lipoprotein subclasses and circulating...
- Differential abilities of mouse liver parenchymal and nonparenchymal cells in HDL and LDL (native and oxidized) association and cholesterol efflux. Lapointe, Jany; To Quyen Truong; Falstrault, Louise; Brissette, Louise // Biochemistry & Cell Biology;Apr2006, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p250
The aim of this study was to quantify the abilities of mouse liver parenchymal and nonparenchymal cells with respect to (i) cholesteryl ester (CE) selective uptake from low-density lipoproteins (LDL), oxidized LDL (OxLDL), and high-density lipoprotein (HDL); and (ii) their free cholesterol...
- Confused about cholesterol? Here's what you need to know. // Environmental Nutrition;May96, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p1
Presents information on low-density lipoproteins (LDL's) and high-density lipoproteins (HDL's) to your health. Effect of cholesterol on your health; Ferreting out fat; Effects of eating eggs; Importance of fiber-rich foods; Advantages of drinking; Suggestions to help keep your blood cholesterol...
- Fat Gain Triggers Rise In Cholesterol. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;May99, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p2
Reports on the association of increases in body fat with increases in harmful blood cholesterol or low density lipoprotein in both sexes and decreases in good cholesterol or high density lipoprotein in men. Association of body fats to cholesterol levels linked to cardiovascular diseases.
- Update on the management of dyslipidemia. Irons, Brian K.; Snella, Kathleen A.; McCall, Kenneth; MacLaughlin, Eric J.; Villarreal, Maumi // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;9/1/2002, Vol. 59 Issue 17, p1615
Discusses the third edition of guidelines from the National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Classifications for low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density-lipoprotein (HDL), total cholesterol and...
- Efectos de la combinaci�n de ezetimiba m�s estatinas sobre los l�pidos en pacientes mexicanos. Jaime Carranza Madrigal; Cort�s, Angelina Herrera; Colunga, Hugo Lemus // Medicina Interna de Mexico;jul/ago2007, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p280
Background: The percentage of patients treated with statins who reach the low-density lipoproteins cholesterol goal is low. Objective: This trial was designed to determine the effects of ezetimiba plus statins on lipid profile from Mexican patients with LDL-C values above the goal. Methods:...