Textbook Orders In Texas Put On Hold Again As State Looks For Funding For Biology And ESL
- Contrasting Two Iranian ESP Textbooks Written by Field-specialist and EFL Experts. Nikou, Farahnaz Rimani; Tabatabaie, Mir Ayyoob // International Proceedings of Economics Development & Research;2011, Vol. 26, p367
With the growth of English for specific purposes (ESP), a large number of textbooks have been published for different areas of specialization by different publishers. Therefore, on the basis of the importance of textbooks as one of the elements in curriculum which will guarantee effective...
- Challenging Pedagogies: Engaging ESL students in intellectual quality. Hammond, Jenny // Australian Journal of Language & Literacy;Jun2008, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p101
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including the article on intellectual challenge to students and another on ESL learning.
- Seeking English as a second language. Ross, Janet // Christian Science Monitor;7/24/97, Vol. 89 Issue 167, p17
Relates the author's experience as director of English for Foreign Students at a university in Indiana. Anecdotes of people she encountered like the professor from Budapest, Hungary and the young Scotsman who was told to take English because he had an accent.
- ESL in the academy today. Vandrick, Stephanie; Messerschmitt, Dorothy // Education;Spring96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p403
Reports on developments related to English as a Secondary Language (ESL) programs in the United States. ESL's role in the academy; Political realities of ESL; Broadening of the curriculum; Interdisciplinary aspect of ESL.
- Less lecture, more learning. Nagata, Adair Linn; Petrini, Catherine M. // Training & Development;Apr95, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p7
Presents several guidelines on how to train Japanese groups in English. Requiring and reinforcing of active participation; Use of flipchart, slides and handouts; Encouragement of student feedback; Creation of a supportive atmosphere.
- Foreign language software to teach English. Lopez, David; Salpeter, Judy // Technology & Learning;Apr94, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p26
Presents several computer software for English as Second Language (ESL) programs from publishers of foreign language software. English language software from Applied Optical Media; Fairfield Language Technologies; Gessler Educational Software; Nordic Software; Penton Overseas; Syracuse Language...
- ESOL--about time for a fresh start? Wells, Alan // Adults Learning;Sep96, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p8
Reports that English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) is an area of education which suffered from the lack of policy and strategy. Complications with the implementation of a policy; Information on a survey entitled `A Nation's Neglect,' which was conducted in 1987; Information on a report...
- Vocational courses for parents learning English. Bailey, Gillian; Watson, Dot // Adults Learning;Sep96, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on the Initial Caring and Nurturing (I CAN) Course, designed by parents for parents, who are learners of English for speakers of other languages (ESOL). Development of the course; Capitalization on the course; Aims of the course; Achievement of the aims; Outcome of the course; Other...
- Teaching basic skills and ESOL in non-traditional venues. Deigan, Mary; Mcarthur, Tara // Adults Learning;Apr97, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p210
Describes the authors' work in teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes. Information about Silwood Youth and Community Centre; Why the kind of students vary on the place where the teaching is located; Holistic approach in teaching; Problems with the ingenuity born out of...