Controversial Provision Leads to Delay on Corporate Tax Bill
- House Panel Passes Bill On State and Local Sales Tax Deduction. Jagoda, Naomi // Bondbuyer.com;2/13/2015, p34
The article reports on a bill, H.R. 622, that was approved by the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee to make the state and local sales tax deduction permanent. Cited are other bills approved by the committee including one that made technical changes to 529 college savings plans and another that...
- House Passes Bill to Extend Airport Funding for a Month. DUTTON, AUDREY // Bond Buyer;6/30/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33342, p5
The article reports on the passage of the legislation that would extend airport funding for one month and give airports the capacity to collect passenger facilities charges by U.S. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Sander Levin.
- Crane Is Right Man to Head Ways and Means. Weyrich, Paul M. // Human Events;12/15/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 46, p18
Recommends Representative Bill Crane of Illinois to the chairmanship position in the House Ways and Means Committee of the United States. Issues being handled by the Ways and Means Committee; Other candidate for the chairmanship position; Information on Crane.
- Industry Likes Thomas as New Chairman of Ways and Means. Brostoff, Steven // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;1/15/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 3, p14
Highlights the views of the insurance industry on the appointment of Representative Bill Thomas (R-Calif.) as chairman of the United States House Ways and Means Committee. Scope of the committee's authority; His plans for the tax system; Public opinion on Thomas.
- A CHAIRMAN'S GAVEL FALLS, WITH REGRET. Cohen, Richard E.; Norton, Stephen // National Journal;10/07/2000, Vol. 32 Issue 41, p3180
Discusses the achievements of Bill Archer as the chairman of the United States House Ways and Means Committee as he prepares to retire as of October 2000. Reason for his decision to retire; Criticisms against Representative Charles B. Rangel (D-N. Y.); His support for tax reform and...
- House Committee clears welfare-reform measure for floor action. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;3/15/95, Vol. 14 Issue 25, p17
Reports on the US House Ways and Means Committee's passing of a welfare-reform bill that would transfer to the states control over programs serving poor, disabled, abused and neglected children. Tension between Democratic and Republican committee members; Altering of language in bill; Radical...
- Rep. Thomas to Retire. // HomeCare Magazine;Apr2006, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p8
The article reports on the planned resignation of Representative Bill Thomas as chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee in California. Thomas announced that he will not ask for re-election, making an end to his 14th term. His tenure was considered as instrumental in the passage of a...
- New Tax Changes Could Cost Your Business. STEIN, RUSSELL J. // Business NH Magazine;Oct2014, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p31
The article focuses on the impact of proposed changes to federal tax law and the Massachusetts tax change on businesses in New Hampshire. Topics include the proposed Tax Reform Act of 2014 by David Camp, the chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Ways and Means, which includes a provision...
- House GOP blasts Obama with welfare-reform memo. Viebeck, Elise // Hill;7/18/2012, Vol. 19 Issue 91, p10
The article informs that the U.S. House Committee on Ways and Means has blamed U.S. President Barack Obama for dismantling the work requirement of the 1996 welfare reform law.