Cable Takes On Youth Obesity
- In Attleboro, a Physical Activity Club prods kids to eat less and move more. // AHA News;8/7/2006, Vol. 42 Issue 16, p4
The article discusses the efforts being done by the Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, Massachusetts, local businesses, schools, government agencies, and other organizations in promoting proper fitness and nutrition among adolescents. It reports a nationwide program called Activate America...
- Preventing Childhood Obesity. Muth, Natalie Digate // IDEA Fitness Journal;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p58
The article looks at the efforts to overcome childhood obesity in the U.S. Prevalence of obesity increased from 5% in the 1960s to 17% in 2004. The Office of the Surgeon General launched the Childhood Overweight and Obesity Prevention Initiative to coordinate and expand programs for preventing...
- A Schematic for Focusing on Youth in Investigations of Community Design and Physical Activity. Krizek, Kevin J.; Birnbaum, Amanda S.; Levinson, David M. // American Journal of Health Promotion;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p33
This paper provides a first step in addressing special considerations for youth in a relatively new area of physical activity re- search. After reviewing the urgent need for novel approaches to increasing physical activity, the growing interest in the effects of community design are discussed....
- Physical activity, overweight and central adiposity in Swedish
children and adolescents: the European Youth Heart Study. Ortega, Francisco B.; Ruiz, Jonatan R.; Sjöström, Michael // International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activit;2007, Vol. 4, p61
Background: The aim of this work was to study the associations of physical activity (PA) and other factors predisposing to overweight, with overweight and central adiposity in children and adolescents. Methods: A total of 557 Swedish children (9.5 Â± 0.3 y) and 517 adolescents (15.6 Â± 0.4...
- Historical impressions, 1956. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p19
Presents excerpts from an executive order by President Dwight Eisenhower on July 16, 1956, dealing with the fitness of American youth. Establishment of the President's Council on Youth Fitness and the President's Citizens Advisory Committee on the Fitness of American Youth.
- THE DIGEST. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Aug2008, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p458
The article provides several abstracts related to sports and exercising including health risks associated with a lack of physical activity, motivation and physical activity, organized team sports as a means of combating childhood obesity.
- Welcome. Cresswell, Jackie // SportEX Health (14718154);Apr2010, Issue 24, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one on physical activity, obesity and sports participation and the article on the Blue Gym initiative that describes a project that used outdoors to help boost activity.
- RECOMMENDATIONS. // Active Living;Mar2008, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p15
An excerpt from the Recommendations prepared by an expert committee summarizing the International Conference on Physical Activity and Obesity in Children which was held in Toronto, Ontario on June 2007 is presented.
- Physical Activity, Adiposity, and Obesity Among Adolescents. // Pediatric Exercise Science;Nov1994, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p348
This review examines the evidence that the level of physical activity (PA) or total energy expenditure during adolescence affects body adiposity in the obese and nonobese adolescent population. Several cross-sectional studies suggested that obese children were less physically active than their...