- Mississippi legislature considers charter schools. Sulton, Anne T. // Jackson Advocate;2/23/2012, Vol. 74 Issue 19, p12A
The article reports on proposed bills in Mississippi as of February 2012 regarding the transformation of the state's public schools into charter ones.
- Education: Charter Schools. // Texas Almanac;2014/2015, p598
The article discusses the status of Charter-school legislation in Texas which provides for the four types of charter schools including the home-rule school district charter, the campus-program charter and the open-enrollment charter with districts showing no interest in first one.
- Colorado Districts Asking Courts To Scuttle State Chartering Board. Robelen, Erik W. // Education Week;8/9/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 44, p23
The article reports on Colorado schools challenging a statewide body established to set up charter schools. The Colorado Charter School Institute's role is to welcome local schools independent of and unwelcomed by school districts. Florida, New Mexico and South Carolina also created charter...
- COLORADO PIONEERS. Sealover, Ed // State Legislatures;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p16
The article features Colorado Senate President Peter Groff and Colorado House Speaker Terrance Carroll, the first African Americans to become leaders of both chambers of the legislature in a state at the same time. The two legislators have expressed aversion to talking about this particular...
- Owens going to 'War on Debt'. Brown, Nathan // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;4/29/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 101, p1
The article reports on the move of Representative Bill Owens to introduce "War on Debt" act allowing the people to buy 10,000 dollars 30-year bond that would be used to pay national debt in New York.
- A Tale of Two Crows (Guest Voice). // Moderate Voice;4/9/2012, p3
The article focuses on the introduction of the Senate Bill (SB) 217 by Louisiana Senator A. G. Crowe which is believed to relive the institutional segregation practices. It notes that the bill omits the broader anti-discrimination policies which shield children from being discriminated in...
- Legislation Tightens Fiscal Oversight of California Charters. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;10/12/2005, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p18
The article focuses on laws related to charter schools in California. A bill giving county-level education officials the power to investigate suspected fiscal malfeasance by charter school operators is among several charter-related measures that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has...
- Acts approved by the President. Clinton, William J. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;11/2/98, Vol. 34 Issue 44, p2194
Presents several pieces of legislation approved by United States President Bill Clinton in 1998. Charter School Expansion Act of 1998; Granite Watershed Enhancement and Protection Act of 1998; Border Smog Reduction Act of 1998.
- Md. Charters Poised to Debut Amid Concerns. Honawar, Vaishali // Education Week;4/6/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 30, p18
The article reports that charter school applicants, standing before untested school boards, have asked to open schools with programs not widely available under the public school system in Maryland. But only 10 of 29 charter applications have been approved since Governor Robert L. Ehrlich signed...