Schistocytes on the Peripheral Blood Smear
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Lerner, Robert G.; Rapaport, Samuel I.; Meltzer, James // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun67, Vol. 66 Issue 6, p1180
Presents a study that carried out serial systematic coagulation in a patient with clinically typical thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) because of the suggestion that TTP is a human equivalent of the generalized Schwartzman reaction. Peripheral blood smear of the patient on admission;...
- Tuberculosis presenting as immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Ozkalemkas, Fahir; Ali, Ridvan; Ozkan, Atilla; Ozcelik, Tulay; Ozkocaman, Vildan; Kunt-Uzaslan, Esra; Bahadir-Erdogan, Beril; Akalin, Halis // Annals of Clinical Microbiology & Antimicrobials;2004, Vol. 3, p16
Background: Although various hematologic abnormalities are seen in tuberculosis, immune thrombocytopenic purpura is a rare event. Case Presentation: We report a case of a 29 year-old male who was presented with immune thrombocytopenia-induced hemoptysis, macroscopic hematuria and generalized...
- Ticlopidine- and clopidogrel-associated thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP): review of clinical, laboratory, epidemiological, and pharmacovigilance findings (1989â€“2008). Zakarija, Anaadriana; Kwaan, Hau C.; Moake, Joel L.; Bandarenko, Nicholas; Pandey, Dilip K.; McKoy, June M.; Yarnold, Paul R.; Raisch, Dennis W.; Winters, Jeffrey L.; Raife, Thomas J.; Cursio, John F.; Thanh Ha Luu; Richey, Elizabeth A.; Fisher, Matthew J.; Ortel, Thomas L.; Tallman, Martin S.; Zheng, X. Long; Matsumoto, Masanori; Fujimura, Yoshihiro; Bennett, Charles L. // Kidney International Supplement;Feb2009, Issue 112, pS20
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a fulminant disease characterized by platelet aggregates, thrombocytopenia, renal insufficiency, neurologic changes, and mechanical injury to erythrocytes. Most idiopathic cases of TTP are characterized by a deficiency of ADAMTS13 (a disintegrin and...
- Detection of a Platelet--Agglutinating Factor in Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Kelton, John G.; Moore, Jane; Santos, Aurelio; Sheridan, David // Annals of Internal Medicine;Nov84, Vol. 101 Issue 5, p589
Presents information on a study which identified a platelet-agglutinating factor sera from patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Methods; Results; Discussion.
- Erythrocyte Fragmentation in Defibrination Syndromes. Jacobson, Robert J.; Jackson, Dudley P. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Aug74, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p207
Assesses the morphologic features of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia in the peripheral blood of a number of patients with defibrination syndromes associated with various clinical conditions. Pathogenesis of the defibrination syndrome; Occurrence of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia in...
- Antiplatelet Treatment of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jan77, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p102
Editorial. Presents a commentary on the antiplatelet treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Causative agents of the disease; Therapeutic regimens for the disease; Clinical manifestations of thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Ineffectiveness of Aspirin and Dipyridamole in the Treatment of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Rosove, Michael H.; Ho, Winston G.; Goldfinger, Dennis // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jan82, Vol. 96 Issue 1, p27
Evaluates the efficacy of platelet-inhibiting drugs in the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Definition of thrombocytopenic purpura; Results of treatment with aspirin and dipyridamole in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura; Disease manifestations.
- An uncommon case of late thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (42 months) after autologous peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) transplantation in a child. González-Vicent, M; Díaz, M A; Madero, L // Bone Marrow Transplantation;4/1/99, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p735
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a serious complication following bone marrow transplantation (BMT). Therapeutic plasma exchange does not appear to be effective in its management in contrast to classical TTP. We report the case of a child with TTP 3 years after autologous PBSC...
- Automated measurement of schistocytes after bone marrow transplantation. Lesesve, J.-F.; Salignac, S.; Lecompte, T.; Bordigoni, P. // Bone Marrow Transplantation;Aug2004, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p357
Summary:Bone marrow transplantation-related thrombotic microangiopathy (BMT-TMA) is a severe complication partly suspected on the evidence of a microangiopathic haemolysis. Microscopic schistocyte observation confirms the mechanical origin of the haemolysis, but remains a tedious procedure that...