Oxley: Chance of College Savings Bill This Year 'About Zero'
- Oxley Raises Concerns About College Savings Plans with SEC. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;3/12/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31840, p4
Discusses the concerns raised by U.S. House Financial Services Committee Chairman Michael Oxley about state-sponsored, tax-advantaged college savings plans. Speech by Oxley at the National Association of State Treasurers' 2004 Legislative Conference; Complaints about mismanagement, fees and...
- revamping California's education finance system. McFadden, Brett M. // Leadership;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p9
Focuses on why California's budget condition went from boom to bust in a short time. Contribution of the state's revenue structure to the problem; Impact on education finance; Over-reliance on personal income tax; Proposed actions for updating the state's revenue structure and education finance...
- Ohio Supreme Court Still Silent on State School Funding Ruling. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;7/20/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31185, p37
Reports on developments concerning the debate over the constitutionality of Ohio's method of funding public schools. Ohio Supreme Court's failure to make a ruling in July 17, 2001; Observers' reaction to the court's delay in the ruling.
- Detroit Schools Spending Their Way to Reform. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31353, p1
Reports the pace of spending to reform the public schools by the finance teams in Detroit, Michigan. Question on the district finances; Submission of yearly audits; Subject on the state address of Governor John Engler.
- Southwestern States Struggle to Correct School Funding. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;07/25/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30939, p27
Focuses the struggle of Southwestern States to resolve inequities in funding public schools. Use of bonds and other innovative tools to resolve funding inequities; Lawsuits involving capital costs; Problem posed by general system created by lawmakers for allocating funding that must be made more...
- Think like owners, again. TEGHTMEYER, JONATHAN // ATA News;9/25/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p2
The author comments on the public finance in Alberta, Canada that is dependent on the price of oil and natural gas resulting to uncertainties in funding for government services, like education.
- Education stats making Tucson a hard sell. // Inside Tucson Business;01/17/2000, Vol. 9 Issue 43, p4
Discusses issues related to insufficient budget allocated to education in Tucson, Arizona. Teacher pay; School supplies; Extracurricular activities.
- The private school arguments. Erickson, Ralph // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Dec93, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p330
Examines seven major reasons often given by those who attempt to use public money for non-public schools. Educational expenditures; Child benefit theory; Non-ethical courses; Religious-based education; Effective instruction on morality; Double taxation of non-public school patrons; Payment for...
- As Its Schools Crumble, Ohio Debates How to Fund a Fix-Up. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;09/20/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30979, p1
Reports on the debate over school funding in Ohio. Problems concerning Ohio's method of funding its public schools; Factors contributing to the poor condition of schools in the state; Near-disaster at Cedar Elementary School in 1998.