TITLE

Surgical significance and efficacy of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with primary lung adenosquamous carcinoma

AUTHOR(S)
Zhang, Chao; Yang, Haitang; Lang, Baoping; Yu, Xiangdong; Xiao, Peng; Zhang, Dian; Fan, Liwen; Zhang, Xiao
PUB. DATE
August 2018
SOURCE
Cancer Management & Research;Aug2018, Vol. 10, p2401
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Background: Primary adenosquamous carcinoma (ASC) of the lung is a rare and aggressive disease. The accurate diagnosis of ASC based on small biopsies is challenging because of the mixed components within the tumor, and this may lead to suboptimal treatment. Furthermore, information about the efficacy of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors (EGFR-TKIs) in lung ASC is limited. Patients and methods: Data on a cohort of patients with lung ASC who underwent surgery between October 2008 and December 2016 at a single institution were retrospectively reviewed. Results: This study analyzed 148 patients. Differences between the pre- and post-resection diagnosis were observed. Based on the results of preoperative biopsy, patients were diagnosed as having squamous cell carcinoma (n=26), adenocarcinoma (n=20), poorly differentiated carcinoma (n=20), and large cell carcinoma (n=1), and finally diagnosed as having ASC based on histopathological examination of the surgical specimens. Thirty patients (20.3%) with EGFR-sensitizing mutations (TKI group) were treated with EGFR-TKIs after surgery, whereas the remaining patients (79.7%) with unknown EGFR-mutation status received chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy alone (non-TKI group). TKI treatment was associated with better median overall survival (OS) (HR=0.619; p=0.034). Multivariate analysis identified the presence of EGFR-TKI treatment as an independent prognostic factor for OS (HR=0.471; p=0.003). Conclusion: Discrepancies between the pre- and post-operative diagnosis reflect the inadequacy of non-resection approaches to the diagnosis of ASC. ASC patients harboring EGFR-sensitizing mutations who were treated with EGFR-TKIs showed a significantly better prognosis than those receiving chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy alone.
ACCESSION #
132657783

 

Related Articles

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics