Rhode Island Governor Wants Tax Cuts, Increased School Funding
- State STAR program helps senior citizens save on property taxes this year. Fitting, Beth // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;10/26/98, Vol. 12 Issue 22, p21
Provides information about the STAR tax-cut program for homeowners in the state of New York. Distribution of school property-tax bills reflecting savings to senior-citizen homeowners; Eligibility requirements for the tax cut; Components of the STAR program.
- Some Senior Texans Will nave A Choice At Property Tax Payment Time. Wentworth, Jeff // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);6/7/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 23, p14
This article looks at issues surrounding the recently concluded special session on property tax reform and school finance in the U.S. One of the questions asked focused on senior Texans whose taxes were frozen benefit from the property tax legislation. The qualifications for the benefits are...
- Seniors shouldn't get benefits without paying taxes. Thompson, Bill // Las Vegas Business Press;3/17/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p5B
Offers suggestions on improving property taxes in Nevada. Existing proposals for increasing property taxes in the state; Need for tax equity; Importance of relating taxes to services rendered by governments; Senior citizens' aversion to property taxes which support public education.
- PRESENT STATUS AND FISCAL SIGNIFICANCE OF PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTIONS FOR THE AGED. Yung-Ping Chen // National Tax Journal;Jun65, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p162
Discusses property tax concessions to the aged in the United States. Trend toward tax favors for the elderly; Difficulties relating to income limitation and exception limitation; Fiscal significance of property tax exemptions for the aged; States that use tax exemption, tax deferment and tax...
- State constitutional amendment would add tax savings to seniors. // East Bernard Express (TX);5/3/2007, Vol. 64 Issue 18, p1
The article reports on the proposed state constitution change which affect school property taxes for senior citizens in Wharton County, Texas.
- STAR program cut school property taxes. Powers, William D. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);10/16/98, Vol. 45 Issue 42, p42A
Opinion. Focuses on the STAR school property tax reduction program in New York. Percentage of reduction; Benefits to senior taxpayers; Plans of the state to expand the program.
- Illinois Schools Depend Too Much On Property Tax, Task Force Says. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;9/18/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p18
Reports that the independent task force Education Funding Advisory Board issued a report in August 2002 calling on the state of Illinois to overhaul its tax structure to become less reliant on property taxes as a source of funding for public education. Recommendations made by the board on how...
- Aid Level Remains Flat Despite Governor's Push. Cech, Scott J. // Education Week;7/18/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 43, p23
The article states that the Rhode Island legislature has rejected an increase to the state's education budget that was proposed by Governor Donald L. Carcieri. The state suffered budget problems in 2007 and has cut educational programs. A cap had been put on the amount of taxes that could be...
- RHODE ISLAND. Cech, Scott J. // Education Week;1/30/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 21, p18
The article reports that Rhode Island Governor Donald L. Carcieri has called for a comprehensive review of state education funding. It notes that the state's school spending is the ninth highest per student in the U.S. It also discusses lobbying by mayors in the state seeking authorization for a...