FAR WEST Bond-Watch
- Alaska Legislature Begins Special Session to Address Budget, GOs. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;6/22/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31910, p4
Reports on the commencement of a special session aimed at resolving the states' structural budget deficit by lawmakers in Alaska. Initiative of Governor Frank Murkowski to introduce a proposal to reform the state's Permanent Fund; Benefit of the special session for the lawmakers to revive...
- EDITOR'S NOTEBOOK. Share, Jeff // Pipeline & Gas Journal;Nov2006, Vol. 233 Issue 11, p6
The article links the defeat of governor Frank Murkowski in the primary elections on August 22, 2006 to the possible construction of a natural gas pipeline in Alaska. The author looks at different angles which might have contribute to the defeat of Murkowski from the gubernatorial position. He...
- Gas Pipe Start-Up. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;4/16/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31864, p31
Reports that Alaskan Governor Frank Murkowski has signed a bill appropriating funds for efforts to bring North Slope natural gas to market.
- Alaskan Projects Loom Large. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;5/29/2006, Vol. 256 Issue 21, p14
The article reports that it is boom time in Alaska for construction. Legislators pushed through a funding bill this month that will cover $2.5 billion in capital projects. Awaiting final approval by Governor Frank Murkowsk, expected before the start of the fiscal year in July, the bill will fund...
- Garage Bond Sale OK'd. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/5/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32375, p37
The article reports on the approval given by Alaska Senate in May 2006 to a bill that permits Alaska Housing Finance Corp. to issue revenue bonds to finance a parking garage in Anchorage. The bill was submitted following the request of Governor Frank Murkowski in the last week of April. The...
- Senator's deregulation bill has troubling effective date. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;11/14/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30273, p1
Reports on Senator Frank Murkowski's plans to make his bill proposing changes to the tax code's treatment of public power bonds apply to all sales of power after November 8, 1997. Key points in the proposed legislation; Market participants' reactions to and speculations concerning the bill.
- Budget, Tobacco Bills Signed. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/26/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32390, p39
The article reports that Governor of Alaska Frank Murkowski has signed a bill that authorizes the state to refinance outstanding bonds secured by revenue coming to the state from the national settlement with tobacco manufacturers. Alaska has already sold $251 million in Northern Tobacco...
- Tap That Fund. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/7/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31879, p37
Reports that Alaska governor Frank Murkowski will ask voters to allow the Alaska Permanent Fund to be used to help the state's budget deficits. Effect of high oil prices on the state's revenue.
- Despite Squabbles, They're Ahead of the Game on GASB. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, special section p71
The article provides an overview of the fiscal condition of Alaska. The author claims that state officials are still trying to resolve the accumulated retirement liabilities even after enacting a change to its public employee retirement system in 2005. State legislators have approved a bill that...