- Staffing Tops Chiefs' Worries. // Fire Chief;Feb2006, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the finding by the International Association of Fire Chiefs that the three major challenges faced by fire departments in the United States are staffing, funding and increased demands for service. Staffing is also the top challenge faced by volunteer departments. Included...
- NVFC Names Fire Corps Director. // Fire Chief;Dec2004, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p18
Reports that the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) hired Shawn P. Stokes as the director of the Fire Corps program. Stokes' responsibility of leading the partnership between the NVFC, the International Association of Fire Chiefs' (IAFC) Volunteer and Combination Officers Section, the...
- IAFC report on transition in fire departments available on Web site. // Fire Engineering;Mar2006, Vol. 159 Issue 3, p62
The article reports on the Red Ribbon Reports released by the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Volunteers and Combination Officers Section (VCOS) titled "Lighting the Path of Evolution, Leading the Transition in Volunteer and Combination Fire Departments. The report, which was...
- FIREFIGHTER ASSISTANCE AND SEARCH TEAMS IN VOLUNTEER DEPARTMENTS. Swanick, James T. // Fire Engineering;Dec2002, Vol. 155 Issue 12, p12
Focuses on the need for volunteer fire departments to provide specialized emergency services in the U.S. Establishment of firefighter assistance and search team (FAST); Proficiency of firefighters in search and rescue and firefighter safety and survival; Response of FAST to emergency services. ...
- JUNIOR FIREFIGHTER. Ryman, Gary R. // Boys' Quest;Dec2014/Jan2015, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p12
The article discusses the work junior firefighters in the U.S.
- letters to the editor. Eckart, Harvey; Hale, Andrew // Fire Engineering;Aug2015, Vol. 168 Issue 8, p40
Two letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issue including "Rethinking Recruitment and Retention for the Volunteer Fire Department" by Ed Geis in the April 2015, and a article related to affiance of firefighters for rescue operations.
- Malakoff council axes agreement with VFD. Slaton, Russell // Malakoff News (TX);11/13/2015, Vol. 106 Issue 46, p1A
The article reports that the City of Malakoff and the Malakoff Volunteer Fire Department ended their ties in 2015, which according to the city's attorney was caused by problems with response times as the volunteer fire department lack personnel to answer calls.
- Overcoming Financial Obstacles to Improve Life Safety. WEIGLE, WILLIAM H. // Fire Engineering;Sep2013, Vol. 166 Issue 9, p12
The article focuses on Bernard L. Forgea, Chief of the Volunteer Fire Department of Cummington, Massachusetts (CVFD). Means through which Forgea and obtaining financing for department purchases of fire trucks and other fire extinction equipment are examined. A mutual aid program created by...
- Recruitment Help is on the Way. Rielage, Robert // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;4/ 1/2011, p7
The article offers the author's insight on various encouraging signs of the recruitment and retention of volunteer firefighters across the U.S. in 2011. He mentions the summit held by the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)'s Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS) in March...