For Leaders, Behaviors Should Outweigh Looks
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- HOW WHITE IS YOUR HELMET? Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 158 Issue 2, p6
Focuses on the role of fire chief in firefighting. Possession of budgeting acumen and administrative prowess; Leadership in the organizational culture change; Preservation of the traditions on which firefighting is based.
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...
- Molecular Vibrations of the New Fire Chief. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Nov2008, Vol. 52 Issue 11, p30
The article shares the author's perception on the need of the fire departments to set qualifications in hiring fire chiefs who have more management experience. He emphasizes one of the most interesting things he found, wherein ranking of skills sets by fire chiefs was totally different than the...
- Fire Chief Qualifications. Clack, James // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p24
The author, who is chief of the Minneapolis Fire Department, presents his views on the ongoing debate in Saint Paul over the educational and experience requirements for the next fire chief. He contends that any fire chief must have significant experience under emergency conditions where lives...
- 'She's Broken Barriers' Hawley, David // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p19
Presents excerpts from the article ""She's Broken Barriers": Minneapolis' First Female Fire Chief," by David Hawley, which appeared in "St. Paul Pioneer Press."
- Fire Chief - Flagstaff (Ariz.) Fire Department. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;2/28/2013, p8
The article offers information on the fire chief position being offered by the Flagstaff Fire Department in Arizona.
- Becoming unstoppable. Buckman, John M. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on the ideal qualities of a volunteer fire chief. Importance of recognizing the significance of every experience; Reason why persistence is an important quality of volunteer fire chiefs; Resiliency of successful individuals; Difference between successful and unsuccessful people.
- The Pre-alarm duties of the engine captain. Barry, Scott // Fire Engineering;Apr99, Vol. 152 Issue 4, p97
Identifies the pre-alarm duties of the fire service engine captain. Managing personnel; Captain's authority; Morale; Materials and equipment; Personnel protection; Routines and discipline; Training; Expectations of company members.