Protect Yourself from Medic Cons
- ONLINE TOOLS. // Fire Chief;May2004, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p32
Presents web sites that provide information on how fire departments can select qualified paramedics in the United States.
- Calvert County: Past, Present, and Future. Riffe, Jonathan // Fire Engineering;May2012, Vol. 165 Issue 5, p12
The article offers the author's insights on the Calvert County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Departments in Maryland which struggled to increase its staffing in 1990s. The author says that the older members of the department did not adopt with the changes such as the integration of the Emergency...
- Burnet Fire Department host EMT course. // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);3/12/2014, Vol. 141 Issue 11, p8A
The article offers information on the emergency medical technician (EMT)-Basic course program to be hosted by the Burnet Fire Department at the Burnet Airport in Texas from April 12-August 4, 2014.
- Hiring in the Fire Department: Selection vs. Election. Hansen, Tonya // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2008, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p12
The article focuses on the hiring process in fire departments using either the selection or election method. According to the article, using elections to make hiring and promotional decisions creates legal liabilities and risks. Meanwhile, it states that the selection process needs to be a...
- Still no deal. KNIGHT, CHRIS // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/20/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 68, pA1
The article reports on the non-settlement of an agreement between the Saranac Lake village in New York and the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department (SLVFD) that will enable the department to set up a rescue corporation and hire a paid emergency medical technician. It states that the SLVFD may...
- U.S. First Responders Underfunded by $100 Billion by 2008. // PA Times;Apr2005, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the cut in the federal budget for police, fire departments and emergency medical technicians through 2008 in the U.S. Estimates on the total amount of reduction; Basis used in cutting the budget; Effect on the daily operation of first responders.
- Renee Butts. Huston, Stephanie // Teen Ink;Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p30
The author offers reflections on firefighter Renee Butts. The author asserts that Renee was a determined person, which makes for a good firefighter. The affiliation of Renee with the Carmel Fire Department in Carmel, Indiana is addressed. Her tasks as an emergency medical technician at the...
- DEPARTMENT IN FOCUS ROY CITY FIRE & RESCUE. Poulsen, Jason // UFRA Straight Tip;Jul2013, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p22
The article features the Roy City Fire and Rescue Department (RCFR), which was founded in 1955 as a volunteer fire department in Utah. It notes that all of the RCFR's emergency medical technicians (EMTs) are certified at an intermediate level and have undergone the transition testing for...
- RECRUITING STANDARDS. Gasaway, Richard B. // Fire Engineering;Oct2004, Vol. 157 Issue 10, p14
Suggests ways to attract quality volunteer firefighter candidates. Importance of sending the right recruitment message that would interest candidates who really want to become firefighters; Advantages of setting high standards for recruiting.