Let the Power Go to Your Head
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...
- Keep Your Department's Leadership Fire Burning. PARKER, KEVIN // Fire Engineering;Jan2014, Vol. 167 Issue 1, p95
The article discusses the need for fire department leaders to recognize the importance of firefighters' growth and development. Topics addressed include the targeted use of assets to maximize the motivation and efficiency of a veteran/tenured firefighter, characteristics of firefighters at...
- Fundamental skills take new fire chiefs down the right path. Crawford, Brian A. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/13/2012, p1
The article offers administrative or management tips for newly appointed fire chiefs. It suggests that new fire chiefs should surround themselves with the brightest and most gifted people they know, conduct regular face-to-face dialogues with their firefighters, command staff and union...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2006, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p58
Discusses the qualities of a firefighter. Job responsibilities of a firefighter; Key elements of leadership; Information on the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association.
- Ohio Chiefs Association wins Excellence Award. // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p20
Reports that the Ohio Fire Chiefs Association won the 2003 Fire Service Award for Excellence for its Ohio Fire Executive, a leadership development program. Background on the program designed to strengthen the skills of fire chiefs and high potential senior officers; Other finalists for the award.
- Are Clean Sweeps a Help of a Hindrance? Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Jan2004, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p36
Examines the implications of clean sweeps for the demographics of fire service in the United States. Development process and career lifetime of fire chief officers; Leadership issues; Retirement of firefighters.
- Fire Chief -- Ross Valley Fire Department (San Anselmo, Calif.). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;10/ 2/2013, p1
The article announces that the Ross Valley Fire Department Board of Directors is conducting a national search for a committed fire professional to serve as the next Fire Chief to supervise a staff of 32 firefighters and 15 volunteers with an operating budget of 8,347,188 U.S. dollars annually.
- Firin'advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p9
Presents answers to questions on the fire fighting profession in the U.S. Suggestions on the concern of a fire department employee on the noticeable absence of their fire chief during working week; Advice for an officer in a volunteer fire department who aspires to become a fire chief.