NFFF Promotes 16 Strategies
- Evolving safety technology: Integrated PASS devices. Roche, Kevin // Fire Engineering;Sep96, Vol. 149 Issue 9, p56
Discusses the evolution of Personal Alert Safety Systems (PASS) and safety technology for fire fighters. Standards on PASS; Development of integrated SCBA/PASS devices; Features of the device.
- Standard for Cover. Mangan, Dick // Wildfire;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p4
The author addresses some of the standards for wildland fire personal protective equipment (PPE) and why they are important. The author discusses the highlights of the "Into the firestorm," a four-part series on the Discovery Channel," which offered insights into the work of wildland...
- Safety First. Magruder, Don // Prosales;Apr2013, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p30
The article discusses the importance of having a safe workplace in the business plan of a company. According to Don Magruder, chief executive officer (CEO) of Ro-Mac Lumber & Supply, and former chairman of the Florida Building Material Association, the health and safety of employees is the...
- Reducing the Incidence of Cancer Among Firefighters: Jacksonville's Best Practices. NELSON, TREVOR // Fire Engineering;Dec2014, Vol. 167 Issue 12, p63
The article discusses the initiatives of the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department (JFRD) in Florida to reduce the incidence of cancer among firefighters. Topics discussed include replacement of canister masks with self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), handling of all bodily fluids with...
- Establishing a proactive safety and health risk management system in the fire service. Poplin, Gerald S.; Pollack, Keshia M.; Griffin, Stephanie; Day-Nash, Virginia; Peate, Wayne F.; Nied, Ed; Gulotta, John; Burgess, Jefferey L. // BMC Public Health;2015, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1
Background: Formalized risk management (RM) is an internationally accepted process for reducing hazards in the workplace, with defined steps including hazard scoping, risk assessment, and implementation of controls, all within an iterative process. While required for all industry in the European...
- The Fireground. // Fire Engineering;Jul2003, Vol. 156 Issue 7, p112
Focuses on preventing fire fighter fatalities in fire situations in the U.S. Line-of-duty deaths; Airway management; Role of the incident commander in ensuring safety of fire fighters.
- OSHA may revamp standards process. Finnegan, Lisa // Occupational Hazards;Jun99, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p12
Reports on the United States Occupational Safety & Health Administration's plans to revamp its industrial safety and health standards. Teams of experts created to develop standards.
- FLUOROTENZIDI U PJENAMA -- BLAGODAT ILI RIZIK ZA VATROGASCE I OKOLIï¿½. Regent, A. // Sigurnost;2008, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p17
Because of the PBT (persistency, bioaccumulation and toxicity) profile of PFOS, 3M totally suspended production of PFOS based fluorochemicals in December 2002 and EU adopted Directive 2006/122/EC in December 2006, which greatly restricts/bans further use of PFOS in great majority of products,...
- USFA and NVFC Initiate Study of Emergent Health and Safety Issues in the Volunteer Fire Service. Seal, Ulie; Bronk, Tony // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p42
The article reports on a study initiated by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) and the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) of occupational health and safety challenges in the volunteer fire service, along with initiatives, programs, and strategies to cut down work injuries and fatalities. It...