Ala. Gov. May Call Special Session; Health Costs Key Concern
- A Hidden Fiscal Crisis. Kotlikoff, Laurence J. // Finance & Development;Sep2010, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p30
The article discusses the predicament of the U.S. financial sector concerning the rising costs of health care and pension benefits, and constrained revenue sources that threatens its financial stability. It states that the U.S. continue to experience fallout from a financial crisis and debt...
- MINNESOTA DOCTORS GET GOOD AND BAD NEWS. // Medical Economics;9/25/2011, Vol. 88 Issue 18, p12
The article reports on the issues related to the 2-year state budget for the physicians in Minnesota in 2011, noting that a 2 percent tax on physician revenues will be deducted for over five years starting 2014 and the legislature has enacted a series of cuts in hospital Medicaid fees.
- ALABAMA: Education at a Loss. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;10/1/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33193, p9
The article reports that Alabama's Education Trust Fund has entered fiscal 2010 with a shortfall that requires budget cuts of 7.5%. According to Governor Bob Riley, the 72% increase in costs of health insurance for education workers were depicted, indicating from 1.13 billion dollars in fiscal...
- The Great Debate. // Governing;Jan2006, Vol. 19 Issue 4, pA3
The article focuses on the debate over the high cost of Medicaid in the United States. The problem is how to cut costs while maintaining the safety net for about 58 million Americans. Medicaid accounts for more than 21 percent of total state budgets as of January 2006. There are concerns about...
- FACE TIME: ACTIVE AND ANGRY. // njbiz;7/11/2016, Vol. 29 Issue 27, p9
The article reports on the actions taken by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie relative to the state budget, the Transportation Trust Fund and funds tied to health care costs.
- Letter from the Executive Director. Friedman, Jerry W. // Policy & Practice of Public Human Services;Mar2002, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p3
Focuses on the rising health care cost in the U.S. Decline in the revenue of state budgets; Reduction of state tax revenues; Impact of the major policy and financial actions of the Congress on human service programs.
- Moody's: Rising Medicaid Costs Could Squeeze State Budgets. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/25/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31003, p5
Reports on the effects of rising Medicaid costs on state budgets in the United States. Problems of states in balancing their budgets; Expansion of the economy and state revenues.
- The Pension and Health Care Vise. McKnight, Marshall // njbiz;5/19/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 20, p16
Explains that businesses and retirees are feeling the pressure of shrinking pension funds and expanding medical benefit costs in the U.S. Discussion on how businesses are dealing with the problems; Importance of economic recovery and stock market rally to solving the problems; Samples of...
- Pawlenty Uses Veto Power to Cut Health Care. // Minnesota Medicine;Jun2009, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p14
The article reports on the state budget allocation cuts of Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty in 2009. Among the proposed cuts mentioned are the $1 billion reduction in health care spending, elimination of the Health Care Access Fund and transfer of revenues from the provider tax to the state's...