Review: Metformin used alone or combined with clomifene may improve ovulation rates in the polycystic ovary syndrome: COMMENTARY
- Review: Metformin used alone or combined with clomifene may
improve ovulation rates in the polycystic ovary syndrome. // ACP Journal Club;May/Jun2004, Vol. 140 Issue 3, p75
This article presents a study, which examines the effectiveness of insulin-sensitizing drugs, in women with the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Studies were selected if they were randomized controlled trials, that compared insulin-sensitizing drugs with placebo, no treatment, or an...
- Responsive to Thiazolidinediones but not Metformin. // Fertility Weekly;2/16/2009, p7
The article discusses the usefulness of insulin sensitivity and adipose tissue topography to determine proper treatment for patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It is found that PCOS is a common endocrine disorder that affects nearly seven percent of reproductive aged women....
- The effect of low dose human chorionic gonadotropin on follicular response and oocyte maturation in PCOS patients undergoing IVF cycles: a randomized clinical trial of efficacy and safety. Ashrafi, Mahnaz; Kiani, Kiandokht; Ghasemi, Afsaneh; Rastegar, Fatemeh; Nabavi, Maryam // Archives of Gynecology & Obstetrics;Dec2011, Vol. 284 Issue 6, p1431
Purpose: To compare the efficacy of two regimens of low dose human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) on follicular response and oocyte maturation in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Methods: Ninety women with PCOS who underwent assisted reproduction were eligible for this controlled,...
- Metformin Useful for Treating Impaired Glucose Tolerance. // Fertility Weekly;5/16/2011, p4
The article presents the result of a study regarding the efficacy of insulin sensitizing agent metformin in managing impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). The study aims to determine when an insulin sensitizing agent should be used for the treatment of...
- When should we use metformin in PCOS? Franks, Stephen // Pulse;11/3/2003, Vol. 63 Issue 44, p96
Determines which women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) should receive metformin. Lack of randomized controlled trials to assess efficacy of metformin; Support for the notion that metformin improves the frequency of ovulation.
- Comparison of efficacy of letrozole and clomiphene citrate in ovulation induction for women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Nazik, Hakan; Kumtepe, Yakup // HealthMed;2012, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p879
Background: A prospective, controlled clinical trial was performed at university hospital and comprised 98 patients (120 cycles) with PCOS. Aim(s): To compare the efficacy of letrozole and clomiphene citrate in ovulation induction for women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Methods:...
- Metformin Is Efficacious Treatment for PCOS. // Fertility Weekly;3/15/2004, p1
Presents the findings of a state research conducted by Turkish scientists and appearing in the medical journal "Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics" regarding the efficacy of using metformin in treating polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Effects of Bromocriptin in CC-Resistant PCOS Patients. // Fertility Weekly;3/15/2004, p2
Presents the findings of a research conducted by Iranian scientists and appearing in the medical journal "Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics" regarding the effects of bromocriptin in clomiphene citrate-resistant patients experiencing polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Evaluation of Ovarian Cysts. HOLZER, ROBIN A.; PERSONS, ROBERT K.; JAMIESON, BARBARA // American Family Physician;8/1/2011, Vol. 84 Issue 3, p3
The article provides an answer to a question of what type of follow-up should a physician conduct for a patient with an ovarian cyst identified on ultrasonography.