THE DYSPHAGIA HOTLINE
- A case of dysphagia with solids. Reddy, Sangeetha; Nachimuthu, Senthil; Moola, Kalyani // Patient Care;Sep2002, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p91
Discusses the case of a Hispanic woman with dysphagia with solids. Medical background; Results of physical examination; Symptoms of the Plummer-Vinson syndrome, also known as Paterson-Kelly syndrome; Medical treatment recommended.
- Evidenzbasierte Therapie bei SchluckstÃ¶rungen. Hiller, Mirko // Forum Logopadie;sep2008, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p34
This second part of a three-part series on diagnosis and evidence-based approach to dysphagia deals with therapy planning and therapy methods. It presents "Facial Oral Tract Therapy" (F.O.T.T., Coombes) as a holistic approach as well as "Orofacial Regulation Therapy" (O.R.T., Castillo Morales),...
- Dysphagia in the elderly -- a management challenge for nurses. Morris, Heather // British Journal of Nursing;5/25/2006, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p558
Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties) is relatively common in the general population, but the prevalence increases with age and poses particular problems in the older patient, potentially compromising nutritional status, complicating the administration of solid medications, increasing the risk of...
- Esophageal Dysphagia from Ingestion of Foil Packaging Tablet. Gelfand, Martin D.; Durning Jr., Ronald B. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Dec78, Vol. 89 Issue 6, p940
Presents a study that reported a case of dysphagia after ingestion of incompletely unwrapped medication. Effect of removing the presence of objects obstructing the gastrointestinal tract or airway; Objects commonly retained in the esophagus that can cause erosion or perforation leading to...
- Upper Esophageal Ring. Lesser, Paul B.; Moyer, Patricia; Andrews, Philip J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;May78, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p657
Presents case reports of patients who had circumferential ringlike structures that represent probable causes for dysplasia. Clinical condition of the patients; Symptoms; Treatment.
- Dysphagia: An Overview. Terrado, Marilyn; Russell, Carlene; Bowman, Julia B. // MEDSURG Nursing;Oct2001, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p233
Presents information on dysphagia. Stages of a normal swallow and relevant anatomy and physiology; Basic components in the assessment of patients with dysphagia; Strategies used in the management of dysphagia.
- When dermatology meets gastroenterology: a case of odynophagia. // Gut;Jun2013, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p851
The article provides an answer to a question related to a case of the progressive dysphagia and odynophagia.
- Dysphagia in a 58-Year-Old Man. FREELS, MICHAEL; CARLSON, SEAN W. // American Family Physician;11/15/2014, Vol. 90 Issue 10, p727
A quiz about dysphagia is presented.
- Evaluating Swallowing Dysfunction Using a 100-ml Water Swallowing Test. Meng-Chun Wu; Yeun-Chung Chang; Tyng-Guey Wang; Li-Chan Lin // Dysphagia (0179051X);Jan2004, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p43
This study used comparison with videofluoroscopic examination of swallowing (VFES) to examine the validity of a 100-ml water swallowing test (WST) in assessing swallowing dysfunction. Fifty-nine consecutive outpatients (15 females, 44 males) with clinically suspected dysphagia were enrolled in...