SYNERGISTIC EFFECTS OF SYSTEMIC TREFOIL FACTOR FAMILY 1 AND EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR IN A RAT MODEL OF COLITIS
- Plant-Derived Polysaccharide Supplements Inhibit Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis in the Rat. Koetzner, Lee; Grover, Gary; Boulet, Jamie; Jacoby, Henry I. // Digestive Diseases & Sciences;May2010, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p1278
Several plant-derived polysaccharides have been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity in animal models. Ambrotose complex and Advanced Ambrotose are dietary supplements that include aloe vera gel, arabinogalactan, fucoidan, and rice starch, all of which have shown such activity. This study...
- Opposite Role of Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptors in Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis in Mice. Ke Wang; Gencheng Han; Yan Dou; Yi Wang; Guijun Liu; Renxi Wang; He Xiao; Xinying Li; Chunmei Hou; Beifen Shen; Renfeng Guo; Yan Li; Yanchun Shi; Guojiang Chen // PLoS ONE;Dec2012, Vol. 7 Issue 12, p1
Tumor necrosis factor-Î± (TNF-Î±) is a key factor for the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), whose function is known to be mediated by TNF receptor 1 (TNFR1) or 2. However, the precise role of the two receptors in IBD remains poorly understood. Herein, acute colitis was...
- The dextran sulphate sodium (DSS) model of colitis: an overview. Solomon, Livingstone; Mansor, Sorsiah; Mallon, Peter; Donnelly, Eilish; Hoper, Margaret; Loughrey, Morris; Kirk, Stephen; Gardiner, Keith // Comparative Clinical Pathology;Jun2010, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p235
The dextran sulphate sodium model of colitis has demonstrated several correlations with human inflammatory bowel disease and is deemed suitable for investigating pathogenesis, therapeutic options and the dysplasiaâ€“adenocarcinoma sequence of inflammatory bowel disease. It is widely...
- Colectomy rate in steroid-refractory colitis initially responsive to cyclosporin: a long-term retrospective cohort study. Actis, Giovanni C; Fadda, Maurizio; David, Ezio; Sapino, Anna // BMC Gastroenterology;2007, Vol. 7, p13
Background: There is consistent evidence that 50% of patients with acute, steroid-resistant flare of ulcerative colitis (UC) may achieve remission and avoid colectomy if treated with cyclosporin (CsA). However, follow-up of the responders has shown that most of them relapse and need surgery...
- mesosigmoiditis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1451
A definition of the term "mesosigmoiditis" is presented, which refers to the inflammation of the sigmoid colon.
- microscopic colitis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1466
A definition of the term "microscopic colitis," which refers to either of two kinds of colitis, is presented.
- serocolitis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2105
A definition of the term "serocolitis" which refers to inflammation of the serous layer of the colon is presented.
- Altered expression of angiogenic factors in the VEGF-Ets-1 cascades in inflammatory bowel disease. Konno, Shiho; Iizuka, Masahiro; Yukawa, Michihiro; Sasaki, Kenji; Sato, Akiko; Horie, Yasuo; Nanjo, Hiroshi; Fukushima, Tsuneo; Watanabe, Sumio // Journal of Gastroenterology;2004, Vol. 39 Issue 10, p931
Background. The VEGF-Ets-1 cascades play important roles in angiogenesis by converting endothelial cells to an angiogenic phenotype. The aim of this study was to clarify whether the VEGF-Ets-1 cascades are involved in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Methods. Colonic...
- ErbB2 and ErbB3 regulate recovery from dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis by promoting mouse colon epithelial cell survival. Zhang, Yongqin; Dubé, Philip E; Washington, M Kay; Yan, Fang; Polk, D Brent // Laboratory Investigation (00236837);Mar2012, Vol. 92 Issue 3, p437
ErbB2 and ErbB3 receptor tyrosine kinases are key regulators of proliferation, migration, differentiation and cell survival; however, their roles in gastrointestinal biology remain poorly defined. We hypothesized that ErbB2 and ErbB3 promote colon epithelial cell survival in the context of the...