VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE
- Let the Sun Shine In. // Natural Life;Jul/Aug2002, Issue 86, p27
Reports the risk of vitamin D insufficiency in people in northern latitudes. Possibility of fractures caused by osteoporosis due to lack of sunshine exposure; Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in a group of adults in Calgary, Alberta; Dosage of recommended vitamin D per day.
- Sunlight and Vitamin D. Holick, Michael F. // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Sep2002, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p733
Editorial. Discusses the clinical signs and symptoms of vitamin D deficiency. Health benefits to the cardiovascular system of sunlight and vitamin D; Exposure to sunlight to prevent vitamin D deficiency; Vitamin D dosage required to establish vitamin D sufficiency.
- Bilateral hydronephrosis secondary to female circumcision. Davenport, Andrew // Kidney International;Dec2014, Vol. 86 Issue 6, p1274
The article presents a case study of a 45-year-old woman visiting from the Arabian Peninsula with lower back pain and thought to have mechanical back pain and vitamin D deficiency.
- Too little sun? // Consumer Reports on Health;Jul97, Vol. 9 Issue 7, p78
Reports that insufficient exposure to sunlight can lead to insufficient levels of vitamin D, which may be far more prevalent than previously believed. What research shows about the three most important risks, weakened bones, arthritis and cancer; Best time to expose the skin in the northern...
- Vitamin D deficiency: beyond bone health. Brady, Veronica // Clinical Advisor;Sep2012, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p20
The article discusses the association between vitamin D deficiency and adverse health outcomes. A key factor in vitamin D deficiency is lack of exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D is a primary factor in bone health, but it also plays a role in physiologic processes such as immunity, calcium...
- Update on Vitamin D: What the Labels Mean. Zimmerman, Philip W. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;2000, Issue 80, p5
Provides an update on vitamin D. Effects of deficiency of the vitamin; Generation of vitamin D after exposure of the skin to sunlight; Inclusion of fish liver oils to commercial sources of the vitamin.
- You need sun, even on the run. Peas, Gerald W. // New York Amsterdam News;6/30/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 26, p31
The article offers information on sunrays which play a major role in a man's attitude, disposition and health. It is believed that when the body is exposed to sunshine, the production of melatonin is greatly decreased which if produced in large quantities,will cause lethargy, fatigue,...
- Health. // India Today;3/18/2013, p39
The article discusses the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency with particular focus on India. Senior orthopedics consultant Doctor Hemant Sharma states that every other person in India has vitamin D deficiency. The factors contributing to the high rate of this condition among Indians include...
- Relative contributions of diet and sunlight to vitamin D state in the elderly. Lawson, D.E.M.; Paul, Alison A.; Black, Alison E.; Cole, T.J.; Mandal, A.R.; Davie, M. // British Medical Journal;8/4/1979, Vol. 2 Issue 6185, p303
Examines the benefits of diet and sunlight in the vitamin D state of elderly. Correlation between vitamin D state and osteomalacia; Use of ultraviolet light as a determinant of vitamin D state; Consideration of clinical conditions with regards to nutrients.