ARE THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS' GUIDELINES ON THE USE OF PABRINEX IN CONFUSED ALCOHOLICS FOLLOWED IN CLINICAL PRACTICE?
- WERNICKE'S ENCEPHALOPATHY IN GENERAL NEUROLOGICAL PRACTICE: SHORT CONSIDERATIONS ON THE NEED FOR REVISION (I). Tanasescu, Radu // Romanian Journal of Neurology;Aug2009, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p132
The article focuses on the myths about Wernicke's encephalopathy (WE), a disease caused by thiamine or vitamin B1 deficiency. It advises people to erase their beliefs that WE is acute because it can be cured and prevented. It advises to relate WE with alcohol misuse among patients because it is...
- Wernicke's Encephalopathy in an 18-Year-Old Woman. Turner, Stuart; Daniels, Lynn; Greer, Steven // British Journal of Psychiatry;Feb89, Vol. 154, p261
An unusually young woman (18 years old) who misused alcohol and developed Wernicke's encephalopathy is described.
- Introduction to This Issue: The Seven Ages of Manâ€¦(or Woman). Marshall, E. Jane; Guerrini, Irene; Thomson, Allan D. // Alcohol & Alcoholism;Mar/Apr2009, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p106
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one on impairments in babies born with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders and another on the diagnosis of Wernicke's encephalopathy.
- Acute Alcohol Effects on Neuronal and Attentional Processing: Striatal Reward System and Inhibitory Sensory Interactions under Acute Ethanol Challenge. Schreckenberger, Mathias; Amberg, Rainer; Scheurich, Armin; Lochmann, Matthias; Tichy, Wolfgang; Kiega, André; Siessmeier, Thomas; Gründer, Gerhard; Buchholz, Hans-Georg; Landvogt, Christian; Stauss, Jan; Mann, Klaus; Bartenstein, Peter; Urban, Reinhard // Neuropsychopharmacology;Aug2004, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p1527
The acute influence of ethanol on cerebral activity induces complex psycho-physiological effects that are considerably more pronounced during acute ethanol influx than during maximal blood alcohol concentration (elimination phase). Despite the psychiatric and forensic relevance of these...
- The Korsakoff Syndrome: Clinical Aspects, Psychology and Treatment. Kopelman, Michael D.; Thomson, Allan D.; Guerrini, Irene; Marshall, E. Jane // Alcohol & Alcoholism;Mar/Apr2009, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p148
Aims: The Korsakoff syndrome is a preventable memory disorder that usually emerges (although not always) in the aftermath of an episode of Wernicke's encephalopathy. The present paper reviews the clinical and scientific literature on this disorder. Methods: A systematic review of the clinical...
- Wernicke's encephalopathy. // British Medical Journal;8/4/1979, Vol. 2 Issue 6185, p291
Examines the etiology of Wernicke's encephalopathy in Perth, Western Australia. Association of the condition with alcoholism; Symptoms of the syndrome; Use of intravenous thiamine in the treatment.
- Update of Cell Damage Mechanisms in Thiamine Deficiency: Focus on Oxidative Stress, Excitotoxicity and Inflammation. Hazell, Alan S.; Butterworth, Roger F. // Alcohol & Alcoholism;Mar/Apr2009, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p141
Thiamine deficiency (TD) is a well-established model of Wernicke's encephalopathy. Although the neurologic dysfunction and brain damage resulting from the biochemical consequences of TD is well characterized, the mechanism(s) that lead to the selective histological lesions characteristic of this...
- Non-Alcoholic Wernicke Encephalopathy: MR Imaging and Review of the Literature. Saturnino, P. P.; Conforti, R.; Amoroso, V.; D'Agostino, V.; Ferrara, M.; Cirillo, S. // Neuroradiology Journal;Apr2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p151
We describe a patient with non-alcoholic Wernicke's encephalopathy caused by long-term parenteral nutrition. The diagnosis is based on clinical and magnetic resonance findings. We also reviewed the literature review in typical and atypical findings at MR examination.
- Alcohol-Related Brain Damage: Report from a Medical Council on Alcohol Symposium, June 2010. Thomson, A. D.; Guerrini, I.; Bell, D.; Drummond, C.; Duka, T.; Field, M.; Kopelman, M.; Lingford-Hughes, A.; Smith, I.; Wilson, K.; Marshall, E. J. // Alcohol & Alcoholism. Supplement;
The article discusses the highlights of the Medical Council on Alcohol Symposium that was held in June 2010. In Colin Drummon's introduction "Alcohol-Related Brain Damage: Challenges and Opportunities," he discussed the reasons preventive strategies designed to address alcoholism in Great...