SHOULD COLONOSCOPY BE THE INITIAL INVESTIGATION TO ASSESS LARGE BOWEL SYMPTOMS?
- Colonoscopy better than barium enema? Vaizey, Carolyne // Pulse;5/27/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 21, p80
Answers questions on colonoscopy and barium enema. Sensitivity rate of barium enema and colonoscopy; Miss rate of colonoscopy for adenomas; Information on how to increase the accuracy of barium enema.
- Clearing the way for colonoscopy. R.M.D. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p156
Offers advice on how to get the best result from a barium enema during colonoscopy. Cleanliness of the colon; Bowel preparation; Diet and water intake; Laxatives.
- Colon Cancer. Moeslein, Gabriela // Encyclopedic Reference of Cancer;2001, p213
An encyclopedia entry for "colon cancer" is presented. Colon cancer also refers to cancer of the large intestine and malignant neoplastic changes of the colon. There are a number of colon cancer screening strategies for the average risk population including fecal occult blood test,...
- Survey update on implementation, indications, and technical performance of computed tomography colonography in Sweden. Fisichella, Valeria A.; Hellström, Mikael // Acta Radiologica;Jan2010, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p4
Background: Computed tomographic colonography (CTC) has gained increased acceptance in the last few years as a valid substitute for double-contrast barium enema (DCBE). However, implementation of new technologies is complex, since several factors may influence the process. Purpose: To evaluate...
- Cystic lymphangiomas of the colon. Sato, Koichi; Maekawa, Takeo; Yabuki, Kiyotaka; Tomita, Natsumi; Eguchi, Masanobu; Matsumoto, Michio; Sugiyama, Noriyoshi // Journal of Gastroenterology;1999, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p520
Abstract: We report a patient with cystic lymphangiomas diagnosed by endoscopic ultrasonography and resected by partial polypectomy. A 42-year-old woman consulted a nearby physician because of a positive fecal occult blood test. Barium enema and colonoscopy revealed the presence of...
- Using Reimbursement to Improve Colonoscopy Quality. Feldman, Ronald E. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Apr2011, Vol. 106 Issue 4, p802
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Relative sensitivity of colonoscopy and barium enema for detection of colorectal cancer in clinical practice," by D. K. Rex and colleagues in the 1997 issue.
- PATIENT TOLERABILITY OF VIRTUAL COLONOSCOPY IN COMPARISON TO CONVENTIONAL COLONOSCOPY AND BARIUM ENEMA. Moreea, S.; Singhal, A.; Beckett, C.G.; Kay, C.L. // Gut;Apr2003 Supplement 1, Vol. 52, pA25
Aim: To evaluate the discomfort associated with bowel cleansing and the degree of discomfort/abdominal pain in patients having a virtual colonoscopy (VC), conventional colonoscopy (CC) and barium enema (BE) and to determine patient preference between VC and CC. Methods: Patients referred for CC...
- A Comparison of Colonoscopy and Double-Contrast Barium Enema for Surveillance after Polypectomy. Winawer, Sidney J.; Stewart, Edward T.; Zauber, Ann G.; Bond, John H.; Ansel, Howard; Waye, Jerome D.; Hall, Deborah; Hamlin, J. Andrew; Schapiro, Melvin; O'Brien, Michael J.; Sternberg, Stephen S.; Hogan, Walter J.; Khilnani, Mansho; Ackroyd, Frederick W.; Panish, Joel F.; Kussin, Larry; Edelman, Martin; Gottlieb, Leonard S. // New England Journal of Medicine;06/15/2000, Vol. 342 Issue 24, p1766
Background: After patients have undergone colonoscopic polypectomy, it is uncertain whether colonoscopic examination or a barium enema is the better method of surveillance. Methods: As part of the National Polyp Study, we offered colonoscopic examination and double-contrast barium enema for...
- Colonoscopy more effective than barium enema for cancer surveillance. // Geriatrics;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p26
Provides information about a study which explored the use of colonoscopy for colon cancer screening of asymptomatic patients. Detection of colonic polyps through colonoscopic polypectomy; Effect of lesion size on the barium enema detection result; Risks of complications associated with colonoscopy.