YIELD FROM INVESTIGATING IRON DEFICIENCY ANAEMIA IN THE UNDER 45s: IS THE JUICE WORTH THE SQUEEZE?
- A Prospective, Multidisciplinary Evaluation of Premenopausal Women With Iron-Deficiency Anemia. Kepczyk, Thomas; Cremins, James E.; Long, Brian D.; Bachinski, Matthew B. Z.; Smith, L. Ramona; McNally, Peter R. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1999, Vol. 94 Issue 1, p109
Objective: The cause of iron deficiency anemia (IDA) in premenopausal women is often presumed to be menstrual blood loss. The purpose of this study was to determine the diagnostic value of a comprehensive gynecological and gastrointestinal evaluation in premenopausal women with IDA. Methods:...
- Celiac Disease: Presentation of 109 Children. Kuloğlu, Zarife; Kırsaçlıoğlu, Ceyda Tuna; Kansu, Aydan; Ensari, Arzu; Girgin, Nurten // Yonsei Medical Journal;10/31/2009, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p617
Purpose: The clinical features of patients with celiac disease (CD) are variable. In the present study, clinical and laboratory features of 109 patients with CD were retrospectively evaluated. Materials and Methods: In all cases, diagnosis of CD was made by European Society for Paediatric...
- Evaluation of Microcytosis. VAN VRANKEN, MICHELE // American Family Physician;11/1/2010, Vol. 82 Issue 9, p1117
Microcytosis is typically an incidental finding in asymptomatic patients who received a complete blood count for other reasons. The condition is defined as a mean corpuscular volume of less than 80 ÂµmÂ³ (80 fL) in adults. The most common causes of microcytosis are iron deficiency anemia and...
- Evaluating idiopathic iron deficiency anemia. // American Family Physician;6/1/94, Vol. 49 Issue 8, p1927
Reports on a study by Rockey and Cello which examines the diagnostic value of a complete gastrointestinal evaluation for idiopathic iron deficiency anemia. Publication of study in the December 2, 1993 issue of the `New England Journal of Medicine'; Clinical features that may predict the...
- Clinical: Clinical Solutions - Iron deficiency anaemia. // GP: General Practitioner;12/4/2009, p39
The article offers information on treating iron deficiency anemia. It states enquiry should be done about overt bleeding or illness, that may suggest Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. It mentions that the patient should be urgently referred to a physician, if they are suspected of dyspepsia, or...
- Gastrointestinal parasites in Ugandan cancer patients: a retrospective departmental review. Robinson, A. J.; Katongole-Mbidde, E. // Tropical Doctor;Jul2006, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p188
Of all cancer patients, 28% had gastrointestinal parasites of medical importance.
- Iron Metabolism. Woods, S.; DeMarco, T.; Friedland, M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1990, Vol. 85 Issue 1, p1
Discusses the basic concepts, theories and disorders involving iron metabolism. Iron homeostasis; Factors influencing the rate of iron absorption in the gastrointestinal tract; Cause of iron deficiency anemia.
- Prevention of Iron Deficiency in Infants and Toddlers. Kazal JR., Louis A. // American Family Physician;10/1/2002, Vol. 66 Issue 7, p1217
Focuses on the prevention of iron deficiency anemia in infants and toddlers. Insight on the mental, motor, and behavior effects of iron deficiency; Discussion on the primary prevention of iron deficiency anemia; Information on the treatment.
- Independent Nurse: Clinical - Pathology question time - Testing for anaemia. Hill, Barry // GP: General Practitioner;1/29/2010, p30
The article presents a case study of a 38-year-old woman who was presented at the surgery complaining of tiredness and persistently heavy periods with excessive/prolonged bleeding. She may be suspected to have iron deficiency anaemia (IDA) due to blood loss that can soon lead to depletion of the...