THE GLASGOW ALCOHOLIC HEPATITIS SCORE IDENTIFIES PATIENTS LIKELY TO BENEFIT FROM CORTICOSTEROIDS
- Methylprednisolone Therapy in Patients with Severe Alcoholic Hepatitis. Carithers Jr., Robert I.; Herlong, Franklin; Diehl, Anna Mae; Shaw, Ellen W.; Combes, Burton; Fallon, Harold J.; Maddrey, Willis C. // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/1/89, Vol. 110 Issue 9, p685
Presents a study that determined the efficiency of a corticosteroid in reducing the short-term mortality of patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis. Design of the study; Setting of the study; Profile of patients; Discussion on the results of the study.
- Do Corticosteroids Reduce Mortality from Alcoholic Hepatitis? Imperiale, Thomas F.; McCullough, Arthur J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/15/90, Vol. 113 Issue 4, p299
Presents a study that determined whether corticosteroids affect short-term mortality from alcoholic hepatitis. Overview of alcoholic hepatitis; Criteria used to assess the included trials; Assessment of the statistical validity of aggregating the trials; Mortality rates in treatment and control...
- Pathogenesis and novel therapeutic targets of alcoholic liver disease. CHANG Binxia; WANG Hua; ZHOU Zhengsheng // Journal of Clinical Hepatology / Linchuang Gandanbing Zazhi;2014, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p113
Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) is a leading cause of chronic liver disease worldwide; however, the pathogenesis of ALD is not fully understood and there are no targeted therapies for ALD. In this review article, we summarize the findings from recent studies that have characterized the...
- CORTICOSTEROIDS AS THERAPEUTIC AGENTS IN LIVER DISEASES. Novick, David M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1991, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p30
Looks at the status of corticosteroids as therapeutic agents in liver diseases. Factor that hinders the acceptance of corticosteroids in treating liver diseases; Diagnosis of autoimmune chronic active hepatitis which is an established hepatic indication for corticosteroid therapy; Improvements...
- Expression of the Î²1 Chain (CD29) of Integrins and CD45 in Alcoholic Liver Disease. Chedid, Antonio; Mendenhall, Charles L.; E. Moritz, Thomas; French, Samuel W.; Chen, Thomas S.; Morgan, Timothy R. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Nov1993, Vol. 88 Issue 11, p1920
Objectives: In the active stages of alcoholic liver disease (ALD), we have shown previously an enhanced expression of either CD4 or CD8 molecules on CD3+T cells. Class I and II MHC molecules expression were enhanced on lymphocytes, and on the cell membrane of hepatocytes, thus suggesting that an...
- PATHOGENESIS OF ALCOHOLIC HEPATITIS. Albot, Guy; Herman, Jean; Faye, Claude M.; Chardard, Suzanne // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1957, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p53
Focuses on the pathogenesis of alcoholic hepatitis. Results of investigation into cirrhosis of hepatic origin; Information on chemical studies to evaluate liver function; Histobiological syndromes of alcoholic hepatitis.
- IMMUNOLOGIC ABNORMALITIES IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE. Scheig, Robert // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Apr1990, Vol. 85 Issue 4, p371
Discusses the pathogenesis of alcoholic liver diseases in man. Analysis of the cause of alcoholic hepatitis and Laennec's cirrhosis; Background of a study on immunological abnormalities in patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis; Other studies that established the effect of alcoholic hepatitis...
- CASE FATALITY AND MORBIDITY IN PATIENTS WITH ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE. // Gut;Apr2004 Supplement 3, Vol. 53, pA88
Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) is a heterogenous condition, in terms of its presentation, clinical course, and mortality. Available data on mortality at the national level show a rising trend in Great Britain in the face of a steady fall in many other European countries. A study was carried out...
- Alcoholic Hepatitis and Corticosteroids. Leevy, Carroll M.; Zetterman, Rowen // Annals of Internal Medicine;Nov73, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p739
Editorial. Presents observations on alcoholic hepatitis and corticosteroids. Brief background on the disease; Opinion on a study on the treatment of alcoholic hepatitis with prednisone; Effect of prednisone administered in alcoholics with cirrhosis.