FOOD ELIMINATION DIETS FOR IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME: A DOUBLE BLIND TRIAL BASED ON IGG ANTIBODIES TO FOOD
- IgG Allergy Testing. Russel, Lauren; Alvarado-Paz, Leah // Townsend Letter;Jan2009, Issue 306, p60
The article considers immunoglobulin G (IgG) testing for food allergies. A discussion on IgE-mediated food allergies and types of hypersensitivity reactions are detailed. It references studies on the relationship between IgG in foods and IgE in known allergens. Also elaborated are effects of IgG...
- Food Allergy and the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Zwetchkenbaum, John F.; Burakoff, Robert // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Sep1988, Vol. 83 Issue 9, p901
Discusses recent literature on food allergy, and its possible role in the irritable bowel syndrome. Definition of food allergy; Diagnosis of food hypersensitivity; Tests that use food extracts in assessing Immunoglobulin E-mediated food hypersensitivity.
- Food Sensitivities, Priobiotics, and IBS. // Townsend Letter;Apr2012, Issue 345, p24
The article discusses a study on the use of an individualized food elimination diet and probiotics for treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Participants did the IBS quality-of-life questionnaires and underwent breath-hydrogen testing at baseline including serum IgE or allergic reactions and...
- Management of irritable bowel syndrome. Gunn, M.C.; Cavin, A.A.; Mansfield, J.C. // Postgraduate Medical Journal;Mar2003, Vol. 79 Issue 929, p154
The management of IBS involves a positive approach with establishment of a relationship with the patient from the initial consultation. Diagnosis is predominantly clinical, with exclusion of pathology using the minimum of investigations, targeted according to the age and alarm symptoms....
- New Drugs in the Management of the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Farthing, M.J.G. // Drugs;Jul1998, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p11
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) continues to provide a major therapeutic challenge to clinicians and those involved in drug development. It seems unlikely from the data before us that this multisymptom syndrome with peripheral and central components is likely to respond reliably in all patients...
- New Drugs Calm Irritable Bowels. Dunkin, Mary Anne; Blaney, Beth // Arthritis Today;Sep/Oct2000, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p16
Presents information on drugs for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Background on IBS; Tegaserod; Alosetron.
- New Drug OK'd for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. // FDA Consumer;May/Jun2000, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p6
Introduces the drug Alosetron hydrochloride or Lotronex, a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Information on IBS; Mechanism of action; Side effects of the drug.
- Food allergy in irritable bowel syndrome: new facts and old fallacies. Isolauri, E.; Rautava, S.; Kalliomäki, M. // Gut;Oct2004, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p1391
This article presents information on food allergy caused in irritable bowel syndrome. The notion of food allergy in irritable bowel syndrome resurfaces in scientific thinking. Determination of serum immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies against foods was used to guide the construction of elimination...
- Food Allergy Made Simple. Robbins, Albert F. // Latitudes Online;10/31/2010, p5
The article explains the basic types of food allergy being immediate reactivity or IgE mediated and delayed reactivity or hidden food allergy which is IgG mediated. It says that a food allergy is a concomitant allergy that may be related to a pollen or mold allergy. The axioms of environmental...