Book Fund Deficit
- Fiscal Uncertainty. Galley, Michelle // Education Week;6/9/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 39, p20
Texas state officials are pointing fingers at each other over a budget shortfall that could leave students using 8-year-old textbooks. It all started when the State Board of Education was pinning the budget mess on state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, a Republican. On May 7, the 15-member...
- Lawmakers in Texas, Colorado Gear Up for Tough Sessions. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/11/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32047, p3
The article informs that lawmakers from Colorado and Texas convene this week for legilative sessions that would be rife with budget issues because of legislative restrictions about revenue and spending in Colorado and limited revenue for school finance in Texas. It informs that Texas Comptroller...
- Texas Senator Hutchison Hints at Potential Gubernatorial Candidacy. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/8/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32149, p4
This article focuses on the potential three-way race for the Republican nomination for the governor's office in Texas. Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn has long been considered a potential opponent to Texas governor Rick Perry's bid for a second full term of office. Rumors of Hutchison...
- Comptroller OKs tax reform legislation; governor signs. Sterling, Ed // Munday Courier (TX);5/31/2006, Vol. 33 Issue 28, p2
The article reports that Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Texas's chief accountant, has certified that the state has sufficient funds to pay for House Bill I, a temporary buy-down of property taxes. Later, Governor Rick Perry signed the bill into law. HB 1 reduces property taxes, provides...
- Lawmakers in Charge. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/15/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31677, p33
Discusses the views of Carol Keeton Strayhorn, State Comptroller of Texas about the expenditure of a $700 million funds. Composition of the funds; Power given to officials of the state regarding the usage of the money.
- Under the gun. Mantone, Joseph // Modern Healthcare;8/30/2004, Vol. 34 Issue 35, p10
Reports on the efforts of U.S. state officials to keep services and benefits in their state healthcare programs despite budget deficits in 2004. Increase in funding for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program in Texas; Allegations of state comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn...
- The $248 Million Social Studies Textbook Adoption In Texas Faces Cuts in Battle Over State Deficit. // Educational Marketer;3/10/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p1
Reports on the effect of Texas' fiscal 2004-2005 budget deficit on the funding of state purchases of social studies textbooks.
- Strayhorn: Fee Hikes, Taxes Will Burden Texans. // Bond Buyer;8/28/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31708, p4
Focuses on the increase in fees and taxes by the legislature in Texas to balance the state budget. Overview of the opinion of Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Comptroller of Texas on the issue; Assessment of the increased tax burden on business community and public school employees.
- Texas Comptroller Makes History, Rejects Budget Proposal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31661, p4
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn on June 19, 2003 refused to certify a $117.4 billion budget proposal for the 2004-2005 biennium, telling lawmakers to fix a $185.9 million gap between revenues and expenditures by the end of the current fiscal year on August 31, 2003. This is the first...