Troubled Jail Takes Hit
- County commission adopts $30 million budget, tax rate. WALKER, JAMES // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);9/17/2014, Vol. 141 Issue 38, p1A
The article reports on the more than $30 million budget that was adopted by the Burnet County Commissioners Court in Texas for Fiscal Year 2015 on September 16, 2014, which is increase is attributed on additional expenses for the county jail, district attorney employees absorption as county...
- Jailhouse Blues: Dearth of Beds, Space Spur Creativity. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/11/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31221, p30
Encourages officials to create alternative designs for jails to generate revenue in Arkansas. Budget awarded by residents of Faulkner County for road projects and law reinforcement needs; Conversion of business complex into a jail in Hot Springs County; Expenditures of over-crowded jail facilities.
- Wayne County Commission Passes Budget. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;9/18/2015, Vol. 1 Issue F336, p1
The Wayne County Commission Thursday approved a 2016 budget that the Michigan county's top executive called crucial to its recovery from its financial emergency.
- A Hall of Fame Career. Myers, Mark // Sheriff;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p49
The article announces that John Whetsel has received the 2011 Oklahoma Law Enforcement Hall of Famer.
- NSA's Crime Victim Services Committee Honors Sheriff John Whetsel. // Sheriff;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p31
The article announces that sheriff John Whetsel has received the 2006 National Sheriffs' Association (NSA) Crime Victim Services Award in the U.S.
- A Better Answer for Jail Calls of Duty. Rogers, Sheriff Brad // Sheriff;Nov/Dec2011, Vol. 63 Issue 7, p14
The article offers the author's insights on the application of Interactive Voice Response (IVR) in local jails. He mentions that their detention facility in Elkhart County was one of the first ten in Indiana to use an inmate information IVR. He adds that the associated labor savings from the...
- In Michigan, Options Expand With End to Ban on Bans. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/15/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31387, p30
Reports the selling of bond anticipation notes to fund the construction of a jail in a municipality in Michigan. Revision on the Michigan Municipal Finance Act; Freedom of municipalities to issue bonds without state oversight; Opportunity brought by the changes on non-home rule communities to...
- Arkansas Jail's Ill-Fated Inspection Inspires Unusual Debt Plan. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;06/15/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30913, p4
Focuses on Texarkana, Texas Mayor Dan Gray's introduction of a bond financing plan for a jail facility that could be used by both his city and the Miller County, Arkansas. Results of an unannounced state inspection of the county jail; Concerns raised about the reliability of the income Gray...
- New York's Ulster County to Sell $49.7M of GOs to Fund New Jail. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;3/23/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32345, p3
The article reports that Ulster County, New York will competitively sell about $49.7 million of general obligation bonds to finance the new county jail. Bids will be accepted by the County Treasurer's office on the debt until April 13, 2006. The fixed-rate bonds will mature serially through 2029...