New Hampshire Lawmakers Table Garvee Bond Bill
- Serious fight over `frivolous' lawsuits. Shillinger, Kurt // Christian Science Monitor;3/9/95, Vol. 87 Issue 71, p4
Reports the debate over `Common Sense Product Liability and Legal Reform Act of 1995' on Capitol Hill. Relation between proponents and predatory lawyers; Support of Republicans for the businesses and support of the Democrats for the trial lawyers; Views of various lawyers on the issue;...
- Reduce the risk of frivolous lawsuits. Myers, John J. // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager;Oct97, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p7
Suggests strategies in reducing the risk for frivolous lawsuits for companies. Includes creation of a defensive employment contract; Documentation of termination decisions; Treatment of employees with dignity upon termination.
- Filing frivolous lawsuits creates `legalized extortion'. Proctor, Darrell // Pest Control;Jan98, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p32
Offers tips for managers on how to protect their businesses from frivolous lawsuits. Definition of `legalized extortion'; Average amount spent by plaintiffs and defendants in lawsuits; Prioritizing complaints or potential claim; Advice for those interested to buy liability insurance.
- Crybabies: Eternal victims. Birnbaum, J.; Blackman, A. // Time;8/12/1991, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p16
Suggests the tide of petty American litigiousness is rising to new, absurd heights in this age of the self-tort crybaby, to whom some disappointment--a slur, an errant spouse, a slip on the supermarket floor--is sufficient occasion to claim huge monetary awards. The all-purpose victim; Law...
- Legal system shenanigans. Kilpatrick, James J. // Human Events;5/12/95, Vol. 51 Issue 18, p16
Comments on the proliferation of frivolous lawsuits in the United States. Republican-sponsored Common Sense Legal Reform Bill as solution to the problem; Need for restraints on punitive damages.
- Reform reaction. Aragon, Lawrence // PC Week;2/5/96, Vol. 13 Issue 5, pA1
Focuses on the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act designed to give technology companies in the United States a better chance of fighting nuisance suits. Protection for forward-looking statements; Barriers to filing generic claims with the hope of going on fishing expeditions for evidence...
- Grapes of wrath. Culbertson, Martha // Newsweek;5/16/1994, Vol. 123 Issue 20, p10
Opinion. Describes how frivolous lawsuits can sink a small business. The small southern California vineyard, Fallbrook Winery, begun by the author and her husband; The threat to their winery that came out of a lawyer's imagination; Blackmail in its most basic form; Why we are all in danger, as...
- Modeling frivolous suits. Bone, Robert G. // University of Pennsylvania Law Review;Jan97, Vol. 145 Issue 3, p519
Examines frivolous suits and the policies implemented for regulating them in the United States. Importance of formal modeling to procedural analysis; Review of standard frivolous models; Outline of a general approach to policy prescription.
- Unnecessary, unimportant and unusual lawsuits. // U.S. News & World Report;3/2/87, Vol. 102 Issue 7, p24
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia last week complained that US judges are dealing with too many unimportant & unnecessary cases and asked the American Bar Association to intervene. A sampling of some recent unusual lawsuits.