The Third Element of Negligence
- Falling stars. Bates, Jane // Nursing Standard;1/5/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 17, p27
The article reports that star ratings in nursing can give patients the wrong idea. When the latest ratings were published, the author's trust was left with just one solitary star. This was owing to some administration problems and not because of patient care, which had been highly commended, as...
- LEARNING CURVE. Hardy, Joanne // Nursing Standard;9/28/2005, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p72
Shares the author's experience in coping with first-day fears in nursing practice. Apprehensions in assisting in medical emergencies; Strategies for coping with the pressures of the job; Realization on the importance of nursing in health care delivery.
- Write a practice profile. // Nursing Standard;1/2/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p60
The article provides a step by step instruction on how to write a practice profile based on the published learning zone article. It also offers tips which can be considered by practice nurses in creating and submitting a practice profile. Furthermore, it gives an example on how a practice...
- Professional Practice Advocacy. Homsted, Leslie // Florida Nurse;Sep2006, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p4
The article highlights the publications of Florida Nurses Association that are resource tools in educating the nurses. "Guidelines for the Registered Nurse in Determining Scope of Practice," offers a decision-making model for the registered nurse in interpreting the Nurse Practice Act and...
- Discovery of Connections - Societal Needs, Nursing Practice, and Caring-Healing Theory: My Story. McClendon, Pat // International Journal for Human Caring;2005, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p8
My story reflects not an uncommon journey through nursing education and practice. It reflects the hope inspired by the theory of caring and the healing of a wounded healer. Nursing practice is caught between the science of nursing and the overarching medicalization of healthcare creating...
- My journey from NOVICE to NURSE. Keener, Marchada; Roman, Linda M. // RN;May2006, Vol. 69 Issue 5, Special section p41
Relates the author's account of her experiences from college days to a professional life in the field of nursing. Difference between school exposure and professional experience; Principle of nursing based on experience; Complicated part of IV therapy.
- Can the underlying principles of art be applied to nursing? Paniagua, Hilary // British Journal of Nursing;2/26/2004, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p220
Discusses the principles of the art of nursing and dilemmas connected to philosophical issues and ideas. Definition of art; Art of nursing as a form of rational and irrational knowledge; Consideration of art as a way of knowing.
- 'Safe and clean' in community care. // Primary Health Care;Sep2006, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p5
The article highlights the "Essential Steps to Safe, Clean Clear," a package of ideas and management tools directed at cutting the spread of common infections, issued by the health ministers in Great Britain. The package offers ideas on the best practice in catheter care, enteral feeding, hand...
- PROFESSIONAL UPDATE. // RN;Jul88, Vol. 51 Issue 7, p12
Presents an update on the nursing practice in the U.S. as of July 1, 1988. Number of emergency shutdowns because of the lack of registered nurses; Details regarding a federal ban on transferring emergency department patients because of their inability to pay for their hospital bills; Job...