THURMOND'S BLACK DAUGHTER ADDED TO STATEHOUSE MONUMENT
- STROM THURMOND'S DARK SECRET. Draper, Robert // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Feb2005, Vol. 75 Issue 2, p98
Relates the secret of the former Senator Strom Thurmond about his black daughter, Essie Mae Washington-Williams in the U.S. Race relations in the country; Sense of peace attained by the daughter; Bond between the father and daughter.
- OLD GHOSTS. Cooper, Matthew // Time;12/29/2003-1/5/2004, Vol. 162/163 Issue 26/1, p144
Remembers South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, who died at age 100. Admission of black woman Essie Mae Washington Williams that the segregationist leader was her father; Williams' conception and her relationship with Thurmond; How Thurmond become the first Southern Senator to hire a black...
- Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond. Ortner, Jill // Library Journal;2/15/2005, Vol. 130 Issue 3, p148
Reviews the book "Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond," by Essie Mae Washington-Williams and William Stadiem.
- Imitation of life revisited. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;12/18/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 51, p12
Her name will go down in history: Essie Mae Washington Williams, the daughter of staunch segregationist U.S. senator Strom Thurmond, who peacefully left this earth about a year ago at the ripe old age of 100. There are hundreds of thousands, indeed millions, of light-skinned Black children who...
- '48 AFRO rports on Strom's Black kin. Yoes, Sean // New York Amsterdam News;12/25/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 52, p5
After decades of silence, 78-year-old Essie Mae Washington-Williams has proclaimed to the world that she is the daughter of the late segregationist politician, James Strom Thurmond, as of December 25, 2003. However, Baltimore Afro-American newspapers reported back in 1948, the same year South...
- National Headliners. // Jet;1/10/2005, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p11
Presents information on prominent African Americans as of January 10, 2005. Opening of a new headquarters for the D.C. Urban League under veteran President Maudine Cooper; Consideration of the book "Dear Senator," written by Essie Mae Washington Williams, the biracial daughter of the late Sen....
- 78-Year-Old Retired S.C. Teacher Reveals Late Sen. Strom Thrumond Was Her Father. // Jet;1/12/2004, Vol. 105 Issue 2, p4
Focuses on the revelation made by Essie Mae Washington-Williams, a 78-year-old retired South Carolina teacher, that she is the daughter of the once staunch segregationist Senator James Strom Thurmond and an African American maid named Carrie Butler. Statement given by Thurmond regarding...
- IS THIS WOMAN … STROM'S DAUGHTER? Winters, Rebecca // Time;12/22/2003, Vol. 162 Issue 25, p135
Mentions Essie Mae Washington-Williams, who claims to be the illegitimate daughter of former U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond. Thurmond's public persona as a segregationist; Relationship Washington-Williams had with her father.
- Daughter Of Late Sen. Strom Thurmond To Join Confederacy Group. // Jet;
The article reports that Essie Mae Washington-Williams, daughter of the late U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond (R-SC), plans to apply for membership in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, a group open to descendants of soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War. Washington-Williams and...