THURMOND'S BLACK DAUGHTER ADDED TO STATEHOUSE MONUMENT
- STROM THURMOND'S DARK SECRET. Draper, Robert // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Feb2005, Vol. 75 Issue 2, p98
Relates the secret of the former Senator Strom Thurmond about his black daughter, Essie Mae Washington-Williams in the U.S. Race relations in the country; Sense of peace attained by the daughter; Bond between the father and daughter.
- OLD GHOSTS. Cooper, Matthew // Time;12/29/2003-1/5/2004, Vol. 162/163 Issue 26/1, p144
Remembers South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, who died at age 100. Admission of black woman Essie Mae Washington Williams that the segregationist leader was her father; Williams' conception and her relationship with Thurmond; How Thurmond become the first Southern Senator to hire a black...
- I WAS THE SENATOR'S SECRET. // People;1/24/2005, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p133
Provides excerpts from the book "Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond," by Essie Mae Washington-Williams and William Stadiem.
- Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond. Ortner, Jill // Library Journal;2/15/2005, Vol. 130 Issue 3, p148
Reviews the book "Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond," by Essie Mae Washington-Williams and William Stadiem.
- Imitation of life revisited. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;12/18/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 51, p12
Her name will go down in history: Essie Mae Washington Williams, the daughter of staunch segregationist U.S. senator Strom Thurmond, who peacefully left this earth about a year ago at the ripe old age of 100. There are hundreds of thousands, indeed millions, of light-skinned Black children who...
- Strom Thurmond's BLACK FAMILY. Foston, Nikitta A. // Ebony;Mar2004, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p162
Deals with the revelation of Essie Mae Washington-Williams that she is the daughter of former U.S. Governor Strom Thurmond, during a press conference in South Carolina. Information on her relationship and financial support from his father; Educational background of Williams; Career background...
- '48 AFRO rports on Strom's Black kin. Yoes, Sean // New York Amsterdam News;12/25/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 52, p5
After decades of silence, 78-year-old Essie Mae Washington-Williams has proclaimed to the world that she is the daughter of the late segregationist politician, James Strom Thurmond, as of December 25, 2003. However, Baltimore Afro-American newspapers reported back in 1948, the same year South...
- IS THIS WOMAN â€¦ STROM'S DAUGHTER? Winters, Rebecca // Time;12/22/2003, Vol. 162 Issue 25, p135
Mentions Essie Mae Washington-Williams, who claims to be the illegitimate daughter of former U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond. Thurmond's public persona as a segregationist; Relationship Washington-Williams had with her father.
- National Headliners. // Jet;1/10/2005, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p11
Presents information on prominent African Americans as of January 10, 2005. Opening of a new headquarters for the D.C. Urban League under veteran President Maudine Cooper; Consideration of the book "Dear Senator," written by Essie Mae Washington Williams, the biracial daughter of the late Sen....