Disaster prompted fire laws
- No smoke without fire. Checketts, Peter // Cabinet Maker;07/09/99, Issue 5145, p6
Gives advice on how to prevent fires in retail stores by taking care of the electrical system and equipment.
- Changing nature of fire codes. // Chain Store Age Executive with Shopping Center Age;May94, Vol. 70 Issue 5, pS10
Focuses on the changing fire code regulations and their effect to retail stores. Four major problems of fire hazards facing retailers; Understanding and identifying code compliance problems; Cost-effective ways for retailers to coexist with fire codes while maintaining safety.
- 'Smallworths' set to open. // DIY Week;7/30/2010, p03
The article states that two ex-Woolworths managers are re-opening a former store of Woolworths in Selsdon, London, England, on August 14, 2010, naming their new venture Smallworths.
- Learning the lessons. Fanning, Paul // Hardware & Garden Review;Jan2009, p3
The author discusses the lessons that can be learned by other retailers in Great Britain from the demise of Woolworth. He contends that Woolworth is not a victim of the catastrophic global financial crisis. He says that Woolworth did not get lost, it got left behind because it failed to innovate...
- Averting Disaster. Urbanski, Al // Chain Store Age;Feb/Mar2012, Vol. 88 Issue 2, p66
The article presents top 10 recommendations from leading fire safety experts as to what steps could be taken by retailers to protect stores against fire disasters. Store managers are being advised by Mike Rose of New York-based Academy Fire Potection to regularly check that sprinkler concealer...
- Safety Lights. Benitez-Eves, Tina // Gifts & Decorative Accessories;7/1/2012, Issue 6, p140
The article focuses on the move of gift specialty retailers to educate their consumers about the proper use of candles to prevent fire tragedies in the U.S. It provides insights from several candle retailers on how manufacturers share them with safety tips, which in turn enables them to share...
- New legal guidance for shopping centres. // Fire Safety Engineering;May2009, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p6
The article reports on the publication of a new guidance for managing retail centres under the Fire Safety Order by the British Council of Shopping Centres in Great Britain. It builds on risk assessment guidance for shops and offices from the Communities and Local Government department. Among...
- Fire risk halts business at Paris store. // Fire Safety Engineering;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p5
The article reports that one of the most famous department stores in Paris, France--La Samaritaine--has been forced to close its doors after safety experts said that the steel and glass building was a serious fire risk. A large part of the art deco building, built in the early 20th Century, is...
- THIS ENGLAND. // New Statesman;04/16/2001, Vol. 130 Issue 4533, p34
Comments on the customer services of various public utilities in Great Britain. Details on the hygienic concerns raised by the customers of several photo shops at the Wawter Hurford Parade; Lack of fire safety equipment at the Hammersmith and District line.