- Expeditionary Strike Groups Are Misaligned. Pierce, Terry C. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;May2004, Vol. 130 Issue 5, p4
Expeditionary strike group forward-deployed naval forces (ESG FDNF) remains an undervalued concept. Although it was in the U.S. Chief of Naval Operations Vernon Clark's Guidance for 2004 as one of the extraordinary alignment accomplishments, it remains exiled in the Far East. The ESG...
- NAVAL VESSELS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. // Sea Power;Jan2004, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p58
Features several naval vessels under construction as of November 21, 2003 in the U.S. Ship type number; Program; Name; Estimated delivery date.
- BiG-BORE NAVAL GUNS MADE THE BATTLESHIP Ruler of the Seas. Botham, John Wesley // Sea Classics;Feb2011, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p26
The article offers information on the revolution of Naval weaponry, from big-bore rifles to Naval battleship. It says that firing projectiles at opposing vessels mostly replaced the methods of fighting at sea as Naval artillery rises. It also states that the first authenticated mention of a...
- SHIP REINFORCEMENTS. Randolph, Ned // San Diego Business Journal;3/17/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p13
The article reports on the debate over how to expand and modernize the U.S. Navy fleet in the face of budget cuts. The Navy aims to develop a modern 313-ship fleet. According to the American Shipbuilding Association, an aging Navy fleet comes at a time when the nation's shipbuilding capacity is...
- Navy, Congress Spar Over Next-Generation Ship Technology. Klamper, Amy // Sea Power;May2004, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p6
Reports on the differing views of the U.S. Navy and the Congress on the former's shipbuilding program. Preference of members of the Congress to support naval programs instead of the shipbuilding industrial base; Concerns on the shipbuilding technologies for the DD(X) destroyer and Littoral...
- Freedom's Just Another Word â€¦. // National Journal;5/14/2005, Vol. 37 Issue 20, preceding p1433
Reports on the efforts of U.S. chief of naval operations Admiral Vern Clark in pushing forward the name U.S.S. Freedom for the Navy's first innovative Littoral Combat Ship designed to face mines, suicide bomb boats and shore-based missiles in shallow coastal waters.
- Historic Fleets. Baker III, A.D. // Naval History;Oct2000, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p10
Features historic fleets of the United States Navy. Three different type designations and hull numbers of the passenger ship, St. John; Involvement of St. John in World War II; Modifications made on Antaeus; Hull number of Antaeus; Accessories of the naval ships.
- Tomorrow's fleet. Truver, Scott C. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jan1999, Vol. 125 Issue 1, p83
Takes a look at the warship, USS Harry S. Truman. Fleet force levels for fiscal year 1999; Surface combat force level; Electromagnetic aircraft launching system; Theater Ballistic Missile Defense programs of the United States Navy.
- The Army's FLOATING BRIGADE. Harding, Steve // Soldiers;Nov2002, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p24
Describes vessels of the U.S. Navy which are collectively known as the Afloat Prepositioning Ships Squadron 4 (APSRON 4). Establishment of APSRON 4 and its basing at Diego Garcia; Construction of the APSRON 4 around a class of advanced cargo ships known as Large, Medium Speed, Roll-on/roll-off...