Philadelphia's Mandatory Budget Deadline Looms Large
- N.Y.C.'s Budget Dance. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;5/8/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32376, p37
This article discusses the budget process involving New York, N.Y. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the city council. Bloomberg cut $338 million of council-proposed expenditures from the budget. Councilmembers called for the restoration of these funds that support cultural activities, public health...
- Pittsburgh mayor looks to trash tax again to fight budget deficit. Hoffman, David // Bond Buyer;11/10/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30518, p29
Reports on Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Mayor Tom Murphy's inclusion of the garbage-collection tax and other fee increases in his 1999 operating budget as part of effort to fight budget deficit. Earlier fight over the trash tax; City's obligation debt rating.
- More Waterbury, Conn., Trouble: State Board Rejects Budget. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;06/18/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31162, p48
Reports that the state board overseeing the finances of Waterbury, Connecticut rejected the city's Board of Aldermen budget June 7, 2001. Fourth Connecticut municipality to have its finances taken over by the state.
- City budget forum, March 19. // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/13/2003, Issue 794, p20
Announces a city budget forum for residents of District Three in San Diego, California in March 2003. Hosting of the forum by Councilmember Toni Atkins, city manager Mike Uberuaga and city financial and management services staff; Provision of the public with information about the city's 2004...
- Regional Experience of Differentiated Tax Norms for Municipal Budgets. Istomina, Natalya A. // Izvestia Uralskogo Gosudarstvennogo Ekonomiceskogo Universiteta;2011, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p197
There is analyzed the experience of establishing differentiated tax norms for municipal budgets in the Sverdlovsk oblast. The paper gives the values of the norms which were set for municipalities in 1999-2011. Principal peculiarities of regional budgetary practice in this sphere are highlighted.
- Can we rise to the challenge? Simmons, Esmeralda // Social Policy;Summer97, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p30
This article responds to an article by Harvey Robins presenting a case study on how to make a city more liveable. The present author relates that Robins' belief in political possibilities is inspiring her. She notes that many of Robins's suggestions require departure from public policies that...
- Pittsburgh Oversight Board Rejects Mayor's Budget Plan. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;5/24/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31890, p40
Reports on the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, oversight board's rejection of Mayor Tom Murphy's proposed five-year budget plan. Claims of the board on the plan's failure to meet the balanced budget requirement; Pittsburgh's attempt to fight off insolvency resulting from its shrinking tax base.
- Budget surplus benefits Wharton County citizens. SPENRATH, PHILLIP // East Bernard Express (TX);8/15/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 33, p3
The article discusses a budget surplus in ending balance savings that would benefit citizens of Wharton County, Texas, in 2013.
- Recycling rates, logic don't equate. // Waste News;2/19/2007, Vol. 12 Issue 21, p8
The article comments on municipal recycling budget in the U.S. City recycling budgets, when given for 2006 and 2005, generally didn't increase much. But some cities that spent a significant amount more on recycling in 2006 compared with 2005 saw some payoff. Baltimore's budget nearly doubled...