Maine Gov. Signs Spending Reform Tax Law
- Maine Governor Calls Lawmakers to Special Session on Bonding, School Aid. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;7/24/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31684, p4
Reports that John Baldacci, governor of Maine, has called a special session during the month of August, 2003 to settle dispute on proposed economic development bonds and state funding for school aid in Maine. Reason behind calling the special session; Amount for economic development proposed by...
- Maine Governor Backs Down On Student-Teacher Ratio Cut. // Education Week;3/7/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 26, p17
The article reports that Maine Governor John Baldacci altered his cost-cutting proposal to reduce the number of school administrative offices, which originally called for an increased student-to-teacher ratio and the elimination of 650 teaching positions. State residents' opposition to the...
- Commissioner Is Asked To Seek Test Moratorium. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;1/25/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 20, p18
The article reports that Maine Governor John Baldacci has called on the Maine legislature to approve a batch of new education initiatives. He announced that his fiscal 2007 budget proposal would include $1.5 million in new scholarship funding for individuals in colleges and universities who are...
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, p35
Reports development related to bonds in the U.S. as of March 2004. Announcement of Maine governor John Baldacci's plan for property tax relief; Approval of Rockland County legislature on the sale of short-term debt; Decline of Allentown's general obligation and guaranteed debt issue.
- IS THERE REALLY A PROPERTY TAX CRISIS? Norman, Jack // Marquette Law Review;Aug2004 Special Issu, Vol. 88 Issue 1, p161
Examines whether there is really a crisis pertaining to property taxes in Wisconsin in 2004. Political climate for tax reform; Growing sense of skepticism among politicians about simplistic solutions to complex fiscal challenges; Implications on taxation.
- Ontario's fall economic statement confirms tax review. // eFocus on Municipal Assessment & Taxation;12/16/2013, Vol. 18 Issue 24, p5
The article reports on the release of the fall economic statement from the government of Ontario. According to the statement, the government will be consulting with taxpayers, stakeholders and municipalities to implement reforms to the Provincial Land Tax (PLT) in 2014. The recommendations of...
- Perk patrol. Howard, Lucy; Koehl, Carla // Newsweek;6/12/1995, Vol. 125 Issue 24, p7
Lists some of the gifts offered to Representative John Baldacci (D-Maine), who promised to turn down all gifts from lobbyists when he came to Washington. Gifts include two trips to the Mideast, two tickets to Baltimore's Camden Yards, a trip to Europe, four National Hockey League tickets, a...
- ME Gov. Baldacci, CT legislators honored at HRC Gala Dinner. Wareham, Hannah Clay // Bay Windows;11/19/2009, Vol. 27 Issue 49, p3
The article reports that Governor of Maine, John Baldacci, and members of the Connecticut legislature were honored on November 14, 2009, at the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) 2009 Gala Dinner.
- Maine Scholarship Grant Program for Babies Is Now Statewide. // Community College Week;1/12/2009, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p10
The article reports on the expansion of the Harold Alfond College Challenge to provide $500 college savings grants for all babies born in Maine. Governor John Baldacci said that the program now applies to all babies born in the state and those who became a resident before they turn 1 regardless...