Dietary fructo-oligosaccharides and inulin decrease resistance of rats to salmonella: protective role of calcium
- Controllable release of salmon-calcitonin in injectable calcium phosphate cement modified by chitosan oligosaccharide and collagen polypeptide. Li, D. X.; Fan, H. S.; Zhu, X. D.; Tan, Y. F.; Xiao, W. Q.; Lu, J.; Xiao, Y. M.; Chen, J. Y.; Zhang, X. D. // Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine;Nov2007, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p2225
The aim of this research is to study the effect of the controlled releasing character of the salmon calcitonin (S-CT) loaded injectable calcium phosphate cement (CPC) modified by adding organic phase, chitosan oligosaccharide (CO) and collagen polypeptide (CP). The uniform design was used to...
- Osteotransductive Bone Cements. Driessens, F C; Planell, J A; Boltong, M G; Khairoun, I; Ginebra, M P // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part H;Nov98, Vol. 212 Issue 6, p427
Calcium phosphate bone cements (CPBCs) are osteotransductive, i.e. after implantation in bone they are transformed into new bone tissue. Furthermore, due to the fact that they are mouldable, their osteointegration is immediate. Their chemistry has been established previously. Some CPBCs contain...
- Block randomized trial evidencing lower mortality with sevelamer compared with calcium phosphate binder in incident dialysis patients. Mansour, J.; Shahapuni, I.; El Esper, N.; Fournier, A. // Kidney International;Feb2008, Vol. 73 Issue 4, p510
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article about the superiority of sevelamer over calcium phosphate binder, which appeared in the previous issue.
- Calcified nanostructured silicon wafer surfaces for biosensing: Effects of surface modification on bioactivity. Weis, Robert P.; Montchamp, Jean-Luc; Coffer, Jeffery L.; Attiah, Darlene Gamal; Desai, Tejal A. // Disease Markers;2002, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p159
The growth of known biologically-relevant mineral phases on semiconducting surfaces is one strategy to explicitly induce bioactivity in such materials, either for sensing or drug delivery applications. In this work, we describe the use of a spark ablation process to fabricate deliberate patterns...
- Solid-state preparation and dental application of an organically modified calcium phosphate. Karlinsey, Robert; Mackey, Allen // Journal of Materials Science;Jan2009, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p346
A letter to the editor is presented concerning research conducted on an organically modified calcium phosphate utilized in ball milling.
- Nanostructure of Plasma-Sprayed Hydroxyapatite Coating. Suvorova, E.I.; Klechkovskaya, V.V.; Bobrovsky, V.V.; Khamchukov, Yu. D.; Klubovich, V.V. // Crystallography Reports;Sep2003, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p872
Calcium phosphate coatings were studied by high-resolution transmission microscopy, microdiffraction, and X-ray energy-dispersive spectroscopy. Coatings were prepared by spraying hydroxyapatite targets onto copper, nickel, and chromium substrates and onto NaCl and BaF[sub 2] single crystals in...
- University of Minnesota celebrates 750,000th urolith. // DVM: The Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine;Jan2013, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p37
The article reports that the Minnesota Urolith Center (MUC) received its 750,000th urolith, a struvite-calcium phosphate carbonate stone at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Persistent hypercalciuria and elevated 25-hydroxyvitamin D[sub 3] in children with infantile hypercalcaemia. Pronicka, Ewa; Rowińska, Elżbieta; Kulczycka, Hanna; Łukaszkiewicz, Jacek; Lorenc, Roman; Janas, Roman // Pediatric Nephrology;1997, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p2
The aim of the study was to characterize abnormalities of calcium-phosphate and vitamin D[sub 3] metabolism in children with a past history of "mild" Lightwoodtype idiopathic infantile hypercalcaemia. Seventeen seemingly healthy children aged 2-12 years, with long-term idiopathic hypercalcaemic...
- The negative side of crystal growth. Calvert, Paul; Mann, Stephen // Nature;3/13/1997, Vol. 386 Issue 6621, p127
Discusses the results of a study which demonstrates that the effect of magnetic material upon calcium phosphate mineral apatite. The control of the growth of inorganic materials in the body; The determination of the sites of crystal nucleation and overgrowth; The key questions in biomineralization.