Overview, Prevention, and Treatment of Rabies
- U.S. Rabies Update: Survival from Rabies, and Death in a Haitian Woman. Barry, Michele; Blackburn, Brian G. // Hospital Medicine Alert;Oct2012, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p61
The author comments on 2 studies presenting cases of patients with clinical rabies. In one case, an 8-year old girl from California, who acquired rabies from unvaccinated cat was cured with therapeutic coma protocol; while in the other case a 73-year old woman in Haiti with rabies died despite...
- Human Rabies-- Indiana and California, 2006. Christenson, J. C.; Holm, B. M.; Lechlitner, S.; Howell, J. F.; Wenger, Mona; Roy-Burman, A.; Hsieh, C. J.; LaBar, L.; Petru, A.; Davis, S.; Simons, N.; Apolinario, P.; Furst, K.; Benjamin, B.; Christie, U.; Schnurr, D.; Glaser, C. A.; Rosenberg, J.; Sun, B.; Willoughby, R. E. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/6/2007, Vol. 297 Issue 21, p2340
This article presents news from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Results of a study on human cases of rabies in Indiana and California in 2006 are presented. The study looked at two cases where the patients received treatment similar to the care given to the first human to...
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR. Case Report: Wasp Sting Anaphylaxis. Ashari, Noor Suryani Mohd; Hamid, Wan Zuraida Wan Abdul; Yahya, Nurul Khaiza; Hussin, Che Maraina Che; Musa, Mustafa; Ibrahim, Noor Rosidah // International Medical Journal;Dec2010, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p306
Anaphylaxis to animal stings poses a significant medical risk of vascular or respiratory reactions that vary according to the patient's response and nature of the insult. We report a rare case of an 8 year old boy presented with anaphylaxis post wasp sting. The patient was intubated and...
- Troops in Afghanistan face simian threats, too. // Modern Healthcare;10/1/2012, Vol. 42 Issue 40, p36
The article reports on the health risk posed by monkey bites to U.S. soldiers deployed to Afghanistan.
- The Hemorrhagic Phenomena Associated with Green Pit Viper (Trimeresurus erythrurus and Trimeresurus popeorum) Bites in Children. Mitrakul, Chulee; Impun, Chaweewan // Clinical Pediatrics;Apr1973, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p215
Describes cases of snakebite among children admitted to the hospitals of Bangkok, Thailand. Details on the clinical and extended coagulation findings; Observations made on patients; Mechanisms associated with poisonous snake bites.
- Systemic Loxoscelism in a Nonendemic Area: A Diagnostic Challenge for the Unsuspecting Physician. Zimmerman, Sarah P.; Rothman, Jennifer A.; Hansen, Jessica L.; Rusin, Molly M.; Bertone, Matthew A.; Hamrick, Harvey J. // Clinical Pediatrics;Oct2014, Vol. 53 Issue 11, p1098
The article discusses two cases of systemic loxoscelism in North Carolina. The first case involves a healthy 12-year-old African American girl presented after being bitten by a male brown recluse spider while the second case involves a healthy 9-year-old African American girl presented with skin...
- Ouch! WHAT DO I DO IF MY HORSE IS STUNG BY A WASP? // Horse Sport;May2014, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p26
The article presents a health inquiry concerning medical care for horses being stung by bees and wasps which includes its symptoms, treatment and prevention.
- Itemizing Medical Deductions. Bernstein, Marc // Back Stage;2/3/2005, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p18
The article discusses about medical deductions. Medical expenses include the diagnosis, treatment, cure, and prevention of disease. One can deduct medicine and drugs as long as they are prescribed. Certain medical equipment and services, such as ambulances, hearing aids, eyeglasses, contact...
- Bed bug infestation. Bernardeschi, Celine; Le Cleach, Laurence; Delaunay, Pascal; Chosidow, Olivier // BMJ: British Medical Journal;1/26/2013, Vol. 346 Issue 7892, p30
The article focuses on the management of bed bug infestation and provides general practitioners clinical signs of bed bug bites. It describes the bed bug and place where it is found and the symptoms of bed bugs infestations. It provides various treatment methods, such as topical steroids and...