Chicago Watchdogs Blast Governor's Proposed Cuts to Pension Payments
- Illinois Governor Sets $49B Operating Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/8/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32582, p1
The article reports on the move taken by Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich in unveiling a $49.1 billion operating budget for fiscal year 2008. Accordingly, the budget relies on $16 billion of new general obligation debt, $10 billion of which is from the privatization of the lottery, while $2.6...
- AG Calls Mortgage Deal Unconstitutional. // Bond Buyer;6/4/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31898, p1
Reports that the Illinois attorney general announced in June 2004 that Governor Rod Blagojevich's plan to mortgage the state's downtown Chicago office building to raise $200 million for the budget violates the state constitution because it constitutes state debt and required a three-fifths...
- Blagojevich Signs Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/24/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32389, p35
The article reports that Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has signed into law a $56 billion budget for fiscal 2007. The budget provides an additional $415 million in operating aid for schools, $45 million for colleges and universities, and $29 million for preservation. Blagojevich said that...
- Pension Liabilities Creak in the Fiscal Attic. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p36
Reports on the impact of pension liability on Illinois' budget. Coverage of the state's five pension systems; Proposal of Governor Rod Blagojevich to stabilize the situation; Amount of proposed budget for schools.
- No No-Growth Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/26/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31892, p31
Reports that with budget negotiations in their final week, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has rejected a proposal from some lawmakers to support a no-growth fiscal 2005 budget. Proposal to limit spending in the fiscal 2005 budget to the same levels in the fiscal 2004 budget.
- Top Illinois Democrats May Miss National Convention as Budget Impasse Persists. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;7/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31930, p5
Reports on the disagreement between Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich and state lawmakers over the fiscal 2005 budget. Areas of disagreement in the budget; Tentative budget agreement reached by the Blagojevich's administration and lawmakers; Factors complicating budget negotiations.
- Blagojevich Looking For Compromise. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/28/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31894, p1
Reports on the efforts exerted by Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich to form a compromise with House Speaker Michael Madigan despite tensions over a fiscal 2005 state budget. Pledges of the governor in order to balance the fiscal budget; Comments of the governor on the efforts of the General...
- Illinois Budget Calls for Cuts, Tax Reform, Debt Restructuring. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/19/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31824, p3
Reports on the budget proposal of Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich for fiscal 2005. Proposal for more job training, Medicaid spending and public safety; Appeal of Blagojevich for Congress to endorse a Balanced Budget Act that would require any spending increases be matched with permanent...
- Illinois Lawmakers Let Deadline for New Budget Pass Without Agreement. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/1/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32682, p44
The article reports on the failure of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich and lawmakers to reach an agreement within the July 1, 2007 deadline on a new budget for fiscal 2008. They allowed the deadline to pass for approving a new one-year budget or an extension of the current one, although state...