Chicago Watchdogs Blast Governor's Proposed Cuts to Pension Payments
- Illinois Governor Sets $49B Operating Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/8/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32582, p1
The article reports on the move taken by Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich in unveiling a $49.1 billion operating budget for fiscal year 2008. Accordingly, the budget relies on $16 billion of new general obligation debt, $10 billion of which is from the privatization of the lottery, while $2.6...
- AG Calls Mortgage Deal Unconstitutional. // Bond Buyer;6/4/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31898, p1
Reports that the Illinois attorney general announced in June 2004 that Governor Rod Blagojevich's plan to mortgage the state's downtown Chicago office building to raise $200 million for the budget violates the state constitution because it constitutes state debt and required a three-fifths...
- Blagojevich Signs Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/24/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32389, p35
The article reports that Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has signed into law a $56 billion budget for fiscal 2007. The budget provides an additional $415 million in operating aid for schools, $45 million for colleges and universities, and $29 million for preservation. Blagojevich said that...
- No No-Growth Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/26/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31892, p31
Reports that with budget negotiations in their final week, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has rejected a proposal from some lawmakers to support a no-growth fiscal 2005 budget. Proposal to limit spending in the fiscal 2005 budget to the same levels in the fiscal 2004 budget.
- Pension Liabilities Creak in the Fiscal Attic. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p36
Reports on the impact of pension liability on Illinois' budget. Coverage of the state's five pension systems; Proposal of Governor Rod Blagojevich to stabilize the situation; Amount of proposed budget for schools.
- Top Illinois Democrats May Miss National Convention as Budget Impasse Persists. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;7/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31930, p5
Reports on the disagreement between Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich and state lawmakers over the fiscal 2005 budget. Areas of disagreement in the budget; Tentative budget agreement reached by the Blagojevich's administration and lawmakers; Factors complicating budget negotiations.
- Illinois Lawmakers Let Deadline for New Budget Pass Without Agreement. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/1/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32682, p44
The article reports on the failure of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich and lawmakers to reach an agreement within the July 1, 2007 deadline on a new budget for fiscal 2008. They allowed the deadline to pass for approving a new one-year budget or an extension of the current one, although state...
- With Signing of Fiscal 2008 Budget, Illinois to Start Work on Capital Plan. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/24/2007, Vol. 261 Issue 32699, p3
The article reports that Governor Rod Blagojevich signed into law a $59 billion budget for fiscal 2008 in Illinois. A total of $463 million in what he called unnecessary spending was vetoed by the governor. According to Blagojevich, a budget should reflect the priorities of the people who...
- Illinois Senator: GOP Support for Pension Plan Depends on Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/4/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31608, p1
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich will win over enough Senate Republicans to get his controversial $10 billion pension borrowing proposal approved but he may have to wait until after the release of his fiscal 2004 budget in the fourth week of April 2003. The general obligation bonding plan was...