- Terror at the movies. McNamara, Damian; Chang, Maria L. // Science World;05/11/98, Vol. 54 Issue 14, p18
Focuses on the use of special effects in movie productions. Reference to special effects used in the production of `Godzilla'; Discussion on the technique of inverse kinematics; Details on special effects used in the movies `Lost in Space' and `Deep Impact'.
- Huge special-effects feats feed stories in `U-571' and `T-REX.' Goodale, Gloria // Christian Science Monitor;4/21/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 105, p19
Mentions special effects used in the motion pictures, 'U-571' and 'T-REX: Back to the Cretaceous.'
- Playing it for the f/x. Daly, Steve // Entertainment Weekly;12/30/94 - 1/6/95, Issue 255/256, p60
Highlights some of the special effects used in 1994 films. `Forrest Gump'; `True Lies'; `The Crow'; `The Mask'; `BackBeat'; `StarGate'; `The Specialist'; Computer-generated special effects; Face-morphing techniques; Lip-synching; Make-up illusions.
- High-tech anxiety. Vagnoni, Anthony // Advertising Age's Creativity;May97, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p23
Focuses on the paradoxical nature of the visual effects industry. Decline in the number of big effects-oriented studios that are active in the commercials arena; Pressure which comes with awarding visual effects jobs; Method used by Industrial Light & Magic to award effects jobs.
- Pixel tricks enrich flicks. Swain, Bob // New Scientist;10/3/92, Vol. 136 Issue 1841, p23
Examines how Hollywood is using computer graphics to create special effects. The basic stages involved in computer animation; The new generation of powerful visualization systems; Cost advantage of computer graphics over models being built by hand; The software process of morphing which is...
- The rise of the micromoguls. Kotkin, Joel // Inc.;1996 Inc. Techology 3, Vol. 18 Issue 13, p65
Looks at the competition between small and large special-effect companies in Hollywood. Smaller companies as positioning themselves to compete with giant competitors by investing in low-cost computer technology; Start-up companies as becoming dominant players in the Hollywood special-effects...
- `Third-dementia.' Adams, Kathleen; August, Melissa // Time;6/3/1996, Vol. 147 Issue 23, p21
Remembers how 3-D captured the imagination of movie viewers in the United States in the summer of 1953. The special-effect sensation featured on the cover of the June 8, 1953 issue of `Time.'
- Joe control. Gornall, Nick // TCI: Theatre Crafts International;May98, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p50
Provides information pertaining to making special effects more appealing and adding impact to every action scene with reference to the control system of the motion picture `Joe,' which was based on the classic film `A Guy Named Joe.' Where the movie was produced; Comments from Bart Van Der...
- `Only in L.A.' is worldwide post opinion. Argy, Stephanie // Variety;11/17/97 Supplement Los Angeles, Vol. 369 Issue 2, p39
Discusses the essence of special effects in motion pictures. Examples of companies offering effect facilities services; Effect of the lack of posthouses; Competition among effects facilities; Impact of the film industry's adoption of electronic opticals.