Critical Inquiry on the Body in Girls' Physical Education Classes: A Critical Poststructural Perspective
- Tormented... Tarkan, Laurie // Shape;Jul98, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p112
Reports on the experiences of teenage girls with the development of their bodies. Development of body image; What body image is based; Comments from James Rosen, Ph.D., professor of psychology at the University of Vermont; Psychological effects of body images. INSET: How to over come your...
- How do you see YOUR BODY COMPARED TO OTHERS? // Dolly;Aug2007, Issue 442, p134
A quiz about body image for teenage girls is presented.
- Eating disorders and body image in Spanish and Mexican female adolescents. Toro, Josep; Gomez-Peresmitr�, Gilda; Sentis, Joan; Vall�s, Antoni; Casul�, Vanesa; Castro, Josefina; Pineda, Gisela; Leon, Rodrigo; Platas, Silvia; Rodriguez, Rosalia // Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology;Jul2006, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p556
Objective To compare the prevalence of eating disorders (ED), socio-cultural risk factors, and body image characteristics in two populations of female adolescents, one Mexican and one Spanish, from similar socio-economic backgrounds. Method A total of 467 Spanish and 329 Mexican girls aged from...
- BODY IMAGE AND EATING ATTITUDES AMONG ADOLESCENT CHINESE GIRLS IN HONG KONG. Fung, Maria S.C.; Yuen, Mantak // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Feb2003, Vol. 96 Issue 1, p57
The study investigated the relation between body image and eating attitudes among adolescent girls in Hong Kong. A sample of 358 senior secondary school girls completed the measures assessing body-part satisfaction and behaviors associated with eating. Analysis indicated that even though only...
- Predicting Change in Physical Activity, Dietary Restraint, and Physique Anxiety in Adolescent Girls. Crocker, Peter; Sabiston, Catherine; Forrestor, Shannon; Kowalski, Nanette; Kowalski, Kent; McDonough, Meghan // Canadian Journal of Public Health;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p332
Objectives: To examine: i) the mean changes in adolescent females' body mass index (BMI), global self-esteem, physical self-perceptions, social physique anxiety, physical activity, and dietary restraint; ii) the stability of measuring self-perceptions, BMI, self-esteem, physique anxiety,...
- Indicators of psychosocial distress among adolescent females who perceive themselves as fat. Page, Randy M. // Child Study Journal;Sept91, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p203
Identifies indicators of psychosocial distress among adolescent females who perceive themselves as fat. High loneliness scores of subjects; Rating of physical attractiveness; Likelihood of engaging in weight-regulating practices.
- Girls struggle with body image. // Off Our Backs;Nov98, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p6
Cites a research by Kris Gowen, researcher at Stanford Center on Adolescence, which found that girls are becoming more concerned about their body image at an even-earlier age. Factors for girls' attitudes; Suggestion for helping girls deal with forming a positive body image.
- BOY-O-METER. // Cosmo Girl;May2002, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p50
Presents the opinions of several teenage girls on the physical features and profile of a teenage boy named Bryan.
- Branded Irresponsible. Curtis, Marissa // Teen Ink;Jan2009, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p27
The author asserts that clothing stores are primarily responsible for teenage girls' consciousness about their bodies.