Have you Heard the Good News
- Thou shalt not: Six pitfalls that good sales reps avoid. Perry, David // Furniture/Today;6/20/2005, Vol. 29 Issue 40, p22
Provides tips for sales personnel in the furniture industry. Demonstration of professionalism through punctuality; Importance of having positive attitudes; Abstinence from gossiping about other customers.
- When it comes to gossip, we're all-ears listeners. Wernick, Robert; Roth, Arnold // Smithsonian;Feb93, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p76
Observes that whether it's prattle or backbiting, intrigue or hearsay, humans can't resist the juicy tidbit about the rich, the famous or the neighbors. Gossiping is the one ingredient that defines human life; The history; Accuracy of gossip; Great events of gossip became stories; American...
- `Snakes in the greens' and rumor in the innercity. Miller, Dan E. // Social Science Journal;1992, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p381
Reformulates the rumor concept by obliterating the distinctions between rumors and urban legends. Study of rumors as a means toward understanding the construction of solidarity and community. Research strategy; Comparison between rumors and urban legends; Findings and discussion of interaction...
- Heard about the pastor who...? Gossip as an ethical activity. Willimon, W.H. // Christian Century;10/31/90, Vol. 107 Issue 31, p994
Reflects on the ethical ramifications of gossip. Gossip vs. slander; Redeeming elements of gossip; Community vs. isolation; Learning more about ourselves.
- Gossipers, beware! Smith, S.L. // Occupational Hazards;May98, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p44
Looks at gossip, while highlighting a discovery by a team of researchers which show that when a person makes positive or negative comments about someone else, listeners associate those qualities with the speaker as well. Details on three test by groups of psychology students from Purdue...
- Do girls gossip more than boys? // Scholastic Choices;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p5
Presents information on how girls and boys gossip. How teenagers gossip eighteen times per hour; Types of gossip conducted by teenagers.
- Suzy. Mehle, Aileen // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;9/8/1993, Vol. 166 Issue 48, p4
Reports on society news for the week. Among others, constructions in the house of Lee Radziwill and Herb Ross; Possible marriage of Darryl Hannah and The Hunk over the weekend; Julia Roberts is decorating her New York apartment; High point of August in Newport was Daisy Prince's debut;...
- Viewpoint. Barry, Rebecca // Glamour;Apr98, Vol. 96 Issue 4, p166
Opinion. Focuses on gossip. Information on effects of gossip; Insight on the reasons for gossiping.
- Gossip and Resistance Among the Medieval Peasantry. Wickham, Chris // Past & Present;Aug98, Vol. 160 Issue 1, p3
Presents an analysis of the concept of gossip, as it applies to medieval history. Explanation of the concept of publica fama, common knowledge; Evaluation of recount of the life of a peasant cultivator called Compagno, who lived during the period 1138; Reference to the act of gossiping as idle...