Atlanta Weighs Sales-Tax Hike on July Ballot for Water and Sewer Improvements
- BC's small business trust HST. Jones, Laura // Filipino Post;6/23/2011, p12
The author reflects on the trust of British Columbia small business owners to vote in the harmonized sales tax (HST) referendum. She emphasizes that small business owners consistently demonstrate concern for their customers and communities. She anticipates sales taxes to stay at 12% although...
- Beating the Estimate. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/15/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31863, p29
Reports total revenue collections in Tennessee as of March 2004. Growth in revenue; Increase in sales tax collections.
- The experts all want a sales tax. Steel, Kevin // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;10/26/98, Vol. 25 Issue 45, p9
Reports on the Tax Review Committee that is examining the merits of proposed reforms in Alberta's taxation. Alberta being the only Canadian province without a general sales tax; A survey by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) on the acceptability of a sales tax; CTF Alberta director Mark...
- MECHANISMS FOR EXPORTING THE STATE SALES TAX BURDEN IN THE ABSENCE OF FEDERAL DEDUCTIBILITY. Pollock, Stephen H. // National Tax Journal;Sep91, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p297
This article discusses the two main sources of exporting of the sales tax in the absence of federal deductibility in the U.S. The first is out-of-sate residents purchasing taxable goods and services while visiting Connecticut. These direct purchases are part of the non-business component of the...
- ECONOMIC CHANGE AND THE EVOLVING STATE TAX STRUCTURE: THE CASE OF THE SALES TAX. Duncombe, William // National Tax Journal;Sep92, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p299
This article focuses on how state governments cope with major changes in their fiscal environment, including tax and expenditure limitations, declining federal aid, and changes in federal tax policy in the U.S. There were significant socio-economic changes and major tax policy initiatives by...
- The Use-Tax Man Cometh. // Catalog Age;Aug2003, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p56
Focuses on use taxes issues related to catalogers in Washington. Reasons cited for these bundled taxes; Implications of these taxes for catalogers; Objectives of implementing Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement. INSET: What's It Worth?.
- Sales Tax Treatment of Internet Commerce. Kofinas, Chaim V. // CPA Journal;Jan2004, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p40
Provides information on the advisory opinion TSB-A-03 (5)S issued by the state of New York regarding the sales tax treatment of Internet commerce. Function of TSB-A-03 (5)S; Disadvantages of the advisory opinion.
- Mississippi defines "hotel" for sales tax purposes. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;5/15/2007, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p5
The article reports on the enactment of legislation in Mississippi in 2007 to define the term "hotel" for purposes of the state sales tax on the gross income of a hotel. Under the legislation, the term means any entity or individual engaged in the business of furnishing or providing one or more...
- Vendor Warns Of Web Sales Tax. McKinley, Ed // ISO & Agent Weekly;8/8/2013, Vol. 9 Issue 29, p1
The article reports that processors and acquiring banks are preparing to collect Internet state and local sales taxes. Twenty-two states have adopted a taxation model which includes paying companies like FedTax for collecting sales tax. Merchants can sign up and within 20 minutes start...