Iowa Gov.: No Special Session
- Both Sides Warned. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/31/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31853, p43
Reports that spending cuts and tax increase may be needed to counter the Iowa legislature and governor Tom Vilsack's use of money from various state funds, according to legislator David Vaudt. Overall fiscal position of the state; Credit rating of the state; Tax increase to the balance the...
- Guarded Optimism. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/24/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31848, p35
Reports on the concern of Governor Tom Vilsack on the slow rate of growth of revenue in Iowa. Increase in the collection of taxes in 2004; Assessment of the budget figures.
- Iowa Debating $900M Development Plan Using Revenues From Gaming. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/21/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31618, p1
Iowa lawmakers began debating a 900 million dollar economic development program that would divert gambling revenues from the state's general fund and earmark them to repay the bonds needed to finance the plan. The bill unveiled by a group of Democratic andRepublican House legislators is the...
- Strapped States Face Hard Choices on Tax Hikes, Budget Cuts. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/14/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31800, p26
Reports on the state budget for the Midwest. Budget deficit of Illinois; Proposal of Iowa governor Tom Vilsack for tax increases to augment its budget deficit; Two primary factors that will affect the budget of Michigan; Proposed two-year bonding package for capital projects in Missouri.
- Tax Increase Proposed To Boost School Funding. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;1/21/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p23
This article informs that governor Tom Vilsack of Iowa is proposing restructuring the Hawkeye State's tax system to generate revenue to keep school funding on course. Otherwise, the Democrat predicted a grim future for Iowa during his condition of the State Address on January 13, 2004 if...
- Light Debt Ahead as Vilsack, GOP Spar Over Taxes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, Bond Buyer p39
Focuses on the proposed increase in the cigarette tax in Iowa. Importance of tax increase to generate more revenue for education; Opposition of Republicans on tax increase; Percentage increase in tax.
- Vilsack: It's Raining. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/13/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31324, p29
Reports that Iowa governor Tom Vilsack informed lawmakers about consequences the state might face due to its inability to balance its 2002 budget. Use of rainy-day reserve; Budget reductions introduced by the state.
- Iowa governor's plan would aid downtown Des Moines project. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;01/07/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30803, p3
Reports on the plans of Iowa governor Tom Vilsack to finance projects on recreation and cultural facilities. Creation of a fund for such projects; Plans to issue bonds.
- Vilsack's Proposal Draws Ire From Iowa GOP. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;12/28/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31046, p32
Reports on Iowa's need to borrow funds to pay for a new public safety building to house the state medical examiner's office and a crime laboratory, according to Governor Tom Vilsack. Plans of Vilsack to recommend the borrowing plan when lawmakers reconvene in 2001; Repayment of the annual debt...