SCBA/ PROTECTIVE CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
- To protect and defend. // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p70
Features several protective clothing to protect firefighters from flames and hazardous materials. Firefighting gloves; Boots; Technical rescue garments; Firefighting hoods.
- Protecting Firefighters at Roadway Incidents. SULLIVAN, JACK // Fire Engineering;Feb2010, Vol. 163 Issue 2, p115
The article features a Roadway Incident Safety Program which was formulated in order to protect firefighters, emergency medical technicians, and law enforcement personnel from an ever increasing number of roadway incidents. Fire departments are advised to adapt several of the core elements of...
- Thank you to our emergency personnel. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);5/23/2013, Vol. 111 Issue 8, p2A
The article reports that fireman and paramedics including Crystal Lee, Jessi Cabrera, and Johann Haire in Kyle, Texas Stations received a basket of goodies from Chapa Middle School National Junior Honor Society in appreciation of their dedication to the community.
- Daley yells `change' in a crowded fire house. Knapp, Kevin // Crain's Chicago Business;10/25/99, Vol. 22 Issue 43, p1
Reports on Illinois-based Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's proposal to cross train Chicago Fire Department's firemen as emergency medical technicians (EMT). Background on the labor negotiations between the city government and the labor union representing the firemen; Firemen's reluctance to...
- To The Rescue: Saving Victims of Terrorist Attacks. // Poptronics;Apr2000, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p6
Reports on Sandia National Laboratories scientists' development of BioSimMER, a virtual reality training tool for emergency medical technicians and firefighters. Features and capabilities of BioSimMER; Suspension disbelief; Result of the first field test of the equipment.
- THAT'S A LOT OF PPE. // Industrial Safety & Hygiene News;May2003, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p1A
Provides statistics on the number of firefighters and police personnel in the United States as of may 2003. Number of volunteer firefighters; Number of full-time workers employed at local police departments; Number of nationally-registered emergency medical technicians.
- Firefighting Glove. // Fire Chief;Jan2006, Vol. 50 Issue 1, Special section p3
The article focuses on Flame Fighters from Chiba Glove Co. in the United States. According to the manufacturer, the gloves last up to three times longer than standard leather fire gloves and are machine washable. The waterproof and bloodborne pathogen barrier follows through the complete glove...
- The Quality Assurance Process. Smith, Michael D. // Fire Engineering;Dec2010, Vol. 163 Issue 12, p26
The article offers tips on how a new firefighter/emergency medical technician (EMT) with limited emergency medical service (EMS) experience can review the quality assurance (QA) process in the U.S. It says that several different methods can be used to document patient contacts including dictated...
- Joliet Fire Gets Earnhardt-Inspired NASCAR Firehouse. Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief Expert Blog;6/6/2012, p21
The article reports that the Joliet Fire Department in Joliet, Illinois opened a new fire station, a Dale Earnhardt-inspired facility designed by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) that serves the Chicagoland Speedway. Chief Joe Formhals uses dynamic shift scheduling to...