Don't be bugged by secondhand bargains
- GOOD WEEK. // Cabinet Maker;8/24/2007, Issue 5552, p39
The article reports that low-income families living in two of the most deprived areas in Warwickshire, England will be given the opportunity to buy quality used furniture. Camp Hill and Bedworth Heath will benefit the 2nd Chance furniture re-use project. This initiative aims to reduce the amount...
- GOOD WEEK. // Cabinet Maker;4/28/2006, Issue 5485, p35
The article reports that it was a good week for second hand furniture after suppliers revealed that more publicans are seeking it out. Licensees are now able to get their hands on top-quality furniture, devoid of mothballs, all at a reasonable price.
- Improved strategies necessary to combat bed bug resurgence. DeNyse, Ashley // Infectious Diseases in Children;May2012, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p1
The article highlights a symposium at the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 60th Annual Meeting where researchers discussed public health problems associated with bed bugs that cause physical discomfort and allergies and may have financial effect on businesses and homes.
- You can get a lot more than fleas at a market like this. Breslin, Patrick // Smithsonian;Feb93, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p100
Focuses on the First Monday flea market in Canton, Texas, where if you can't find it chances are it doesn't exist. 100-plus acres in East Texas; More than 3,000 dealers; The merchandise; The prices; Buying, selling, trading, remembering; Dealers like `Trash Alley Sally' or `the Knob Lady'; The...
- Golden oldies. Henricks, Mark // Entrepreneur;Oct96, Vol. 24 Issue 10, p112
Reports on the growing number of secondhand stores in the United States. Growth of revenues from resale trade; Change in people's feelings about secondhand things; Difference in sophistication of retailers.
- Garage sales. Rice, Cynthia // Single Parent;Jul/Aug92, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p9
Gives advice on how to determine prices when holding a yard sale. Gives tips on how to haggle over prices and how to decide if children will participate in the yard sale. Market value; Pricing strategies; Motivating children.
- Secondhand goods: First-class retail idea. Tyson, James L. // Christian Science Monitor;9/23/96, Vol. 88 Issue 209, p1
Reports that an increasing number of Americans are selling and buying used goods at specialty stores. Potentials of the used-goods market; Percentage by which sales at secondhand stores grew between 1987 and 1995; How Americans see this as a way of stretching a small income.
- 'Thrift' is not a bad word. Atkin, Ross // Christian Science Monitor;10/27/99, Vol. 91 Issue 232, p13
Presents an interview with Holly Harris regarding her views on secondhand shopping.
- Thrift store shopping for more than clothes. // Glamour;Jun96, Vol. 94 Issue 6, p120
Focuses on the increase in resale shops in the United States and looks at the wide range of products sold by them. Why shoppers use these shop; Improvement in locations for these resale shops; Number of outlets Grow Biz International Incorporated have nationwide; Names of the specialty shops...