Signal Communications Advanced During the Age of Sail
- Semaphore Code. // Fun For Kidz;Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Presents information on semaphore, an alphabet-signaling system based on the waving of a pair of handheld flags in a particular pattern.
- Lest We Forget: USS Toledo (CA-133). Wertheim, Eric // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2004, Vol. 130 Issue 6, p94
Built by the New York Shipbuilding Corp. of Camden, New Jersey, the Baltimore-class cruiser USS Toledo was commissioned on 27 October 1946. In August 2004, the Toledo worked in a joint Navy-Air Force attack on an enemy village and provided on-call attacks in support of allied ground troops....
- CENTER FOR NAVAL ANALYSES. Harris, Carl M. // Encyclopedia of Operations Research & Management Science;2001, p79
The article presents an encyclopedia entry for Center for Naval Analyses (CNA) in the U.S. It provides the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps with objective studies of a wide variety of operation, systems and programs. The studies range from the support of training and testing activities to the...
- COMBAT FLEETS. Wertheim, Eric // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jul2009, Vol. 135 Issue 7, p92
The article offers global news briefs related to naval and military exercises. The highly trained submarine force of Australia is said to have been facing serious challenges concerning the combination of maintenance cycles and personnel shortages. In late April and early May 2009, the...
- High Seas Signals. Balcovek, James; Feldman, Ruth Tenzer // Cobblestone;Jan2004, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p37
Features semaphore, a commonly used set of visual signals on the high seas.
- A PATIENT WAITER IS NO LOSER. // National Grid;2011, Vol. 7, p79
Several images from the "A Patient Waiter is no Loser" slideshow are presented.
- SIGNS OF THE TIMES. // National Geographic Kids;Sep2015, Issue 453, p30
No abstract available.
- Underwater Vision. Goodman Jr., Glenn W. // Sea Power;Aug2007, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p36
The article offers information about the miniature imaging sonar technology developed by the U.S. Navy in the U.S. The hand-held homeland security aid is said to help the homeland security missions and as well performs underwater inspection to find improvised explosive devices. Its other...
- 'The QDR and East Asia' // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2002, Vol. 128 Issue 6, p32
Comments on the article titled 'The QDR and East Asia,' which was published in the March 2002 issue of the 'Proceedings.'