- Tobacco's Only Safe Haven is Europe. // High Yield Report;2/17/2003, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p1
Focuses on the litigation risk in the tobacco industry in Europe compared with the U.S.
- Drawing on the News. // Scholastic Update;04/12/99, Vol. 131 Issue 13, p20
Criticizes the jury's decision on lawsuits brought by a woman against tobacco companies and other industries.
- Bob Dole, Tobacco Racketeer. Rauch, Jonathan // National Journal;10/02/99, Vol. 31 Issue 40, p2787
Discusses United States government's lawsuit against the tobacco industry. Accusations against tobacco companies; Information on the counts of illegal racketeering; Counter-argument against the government.
- Big tobacco cuts a beautiful deal. Pringle, Peter // New Statesman;02/20/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4373, p26
Focuses on lawsuits filed against tobacco manufacturers. Issues that forced tobacco companies to offer generous-looking proposals to end litigation; Information on some lawsuits filed against tobacco companies; Highlights of the lawsuits.
- Tobacco chiefs sell shares in their own company. Wilbur, Phillip // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/30/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7218, p1153
Assesses the impact of a court decision in a Florida lawsuit against the tobacco industry in the United States. Reactions of Philip Morris executives; Amount of Philip Morris' shares of stocks disposed by eight company insiders; Comments from Richard Daynard, a tobacco liability expert from...
- A test for fiscal freedom. Piotrowski, Julie // Modern Healthcare;5/13/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 19, p20
Reports on the lawsuit filed by Banner Health System against Patricia Madrid, the state attorney general of New Mexico. Reason behind the lawsuit; Information on the agreement signed by Banner to sell Los Alamos Medical Center in New Mexico; Response of Madrid to the lawsuit.
- Banner, N.M. strike a deal. Piotrowski, Julie // Modern Healthcare;6/3/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 22, p20
Reports two lawsuits filed by Banner Health System in the U.S. against two state attorney generals. Details of the settlement between Banner and New Mexico Attorney General Patricia Madrid; Discussion on the counter suits between Banner and South Dakota Attorney General Mark Barnett.
- Arkansas AG Wants More From Tobacco. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/3/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31296, p1
Reports on a lawsuit filed by Arkansas Attorney General Mark Pryor against tobacco companies in an attempt to force them to make payments into a state escrow fund mandated under the national tobacco master settlement agreement. Overview of the Act 1165, passed by the Arkansas Legislature in...
- Patients' groups to sue tobacco industry in Spain. Bosch, Xavier // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);04/15/2000, Vol. 320 Issue 7241, p1028
Reports on a collective lawsuit filed against Spain's state controlled tobacco industry, Asociacion Empresarial del Tabaco, by associations representing patients with laryngeal cancer. Number of medical reports assembled by lawyers who are coordinating the collective lawsuits; Compensation...