Dollars for Detention
- Closing juvenile facilities sparks debate. Asanova-Taylor, Saodat // Michigan Citizen;5/6/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 26, pA5
The article reports on the opposition by clinical specialists regarding the potential closure of all state juvenile justice facilities in Michigan.
- Changing times for juvenile corrrections. Williams Jr., Jesse // Corrections Today;Jun97, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p8
Opinion. Focuses on the author's view on the challenges in juvenile corrections and detention. Changes on the profile of youthful offender coming into the system; His views on the effect of focusing exclusively on the offender; Author's assertion on the greatest challenge faced by the society...
- Supporting A Positive Difference: Alternative Designs for Juvenile Justice Facilities. Smith, Michael; Townsend, Cheryln // Corrections Today;Jun2004, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p78
Looks at the design of the juvenile detention and treatment facilities of the Juvenile Probation Department in Maricopa County, Arizona. Factors that compromise the ability of staff to work effectively with detained youths; Information on how the character of the detention spaces was planned to...
- President McKinley Supported Correctional Education Innovation. // Journal of Correctional Education;Jun2001, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p89
Reports how the United States president William McKinsey supported innovation in correctional education. Participation of McKinsey in the capacity of main speaker at a fund raiser sponsored by Washington D.C. Ladies Aid Society in 1901; Purpose of establishing a self-governing juvenile facility...
- British Penal Colony for Children. // Journal of Correctional Education;Jun2002, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p57
Reports on the setting up of a British Penal Colony for children in Tasmania. Education of the juveniles for gainful employment in future; Profile of the juvenile inmates.
- State News. Harry, Jennifer L. // Corrections Today;Apr2001, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p12
Presents updates on correctional facilities in various states across the United States as of April 2001. Initiatives of Wisconsin officials to obtain DNA samples from incarcerated offenders; Percentage of local budget spent on addressing the effects of substance abuse in Missouri; Increase in...
- Corrections calendar. // Corrections Today;Jun97, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p132
Presents calendar of events of the correctional industry in the United States. Schedule and venue of the conferences; Features of the conferences.
- Warehousing or Rehabilitation? Public Schooling in the Juvenile Justice System. Morrison, Harriet R.; Epps, Beverly D. // Journal of Negro Education;Summer2002, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p218
This article examines juvenile correctional facilities, the populations served, and the educational programs offered. Statistical information on the social indicators for young African American males, who are overrepresented in the juvenile correctional system, provides the backdrop for a...
- Restructuring Juvenile Corrections in California: A Report to the State Legislature. Nadel-Hayes, Sele; Macallair, Daniel // Justice Policy Journal;Mar2006, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p1
Youth corrections in California is at a crossroads. In response to the near universal recognition of California's failed approach to youth corrections, Governor Schwarzenegger, with support from the California Legislature, has launched one of the largest restructuring initiatives of youth...