Black Educators' Views on Middle School Students' Dress and Uniforms: Addressing Challenges from Commercialism
- Attitudes of Youth of Color on Student Dress and Uniforms: A Case of Commercialism in Schools. LaPoint, Velma; Alleyne, Sylvan I.; Mitchell, Harold W.; Lee, Jennifer // Journal of Negro Education;Fall2003, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p406
The Survey of Student Dress and Behavior in Public Schools was administered to 213 predominately Black middle school students in an urban school. Statistically significant intergrade differences were found among students on their knowledge about the incidence of dress-related problems and the...
- Bearing down on baring it all. // Contemporary Sexuality;Oct2001, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p8
Skimpy tops, low riders and bared belly buttons are testing the limits of school administrators, who are fighting hack by enacting and enforcing school dress codes. Teens argue that their code defying fashion choices are just sell-expression. But sex educator Deborah M. Roffman, author of "The...
- California school will go to court over `no messages' dress policy. // Curriculum Review;Dec94, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p4
Provides information on the dress code violation of a student at a Simi Valley, California middle school. Lawsuit filed by the student; Dress policy of Valley View Junior High school in California; American Civil Liberties Union as backer of the student; Reaction of the school to the suit.
- The Devils Want Prada. Springen, Karen // Newsweek;9/22/2008, Vol. 152 Issue 12, p74
The article provides tips for parents on how to provide their children with stylish yet affordable back-to-school clothes. The author offers suggestions such as the parent requesting that the children organize social functions instead of wearing designer clothes, setting a budget for the...
- Agency allows cross-dressing employee to stay on the job. Leonard, Bill // HR Magazine;Sep97, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p10
Reports Florida Health Care Administration will continue to allow a male employee to dress as a woman. Factor's for supporting the employees cross dressing; Complaints raised by Florida Representative Cliff Stearns; Reaction of the agency.
- Clothing: A study in human behavior. Ryan, Mary Shaw // Human Ecology;Spring91, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p28
Focuses on social-psychological factors in clothing. Importance of clothing in first impressions; Motivation in clothing choices; How society influences clothing choices; Fashion and fashion changes; Consumer behavior.
- The language of clothes. Lurie, Alison // Human Ecology;Spring91, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p32
Focuses on clothing as a form of language. Messages that clothing conveys; History of the statement that clothing is a language; Features of the vocabulary of language.
- What I wore to fall in love. // Glamour;Nov96, Vol. 94 Issue 11, p258
Presents readers' revelations about what they wore when they met, dumped or married their love partners. Clothes that create the first impression; What to wear to get even; What to wear to a wedding.
- Another hemline war? Brady, James // Advertising Age;8/9/1993, Vol. 64 Issue 33, p15
Opinion. Comments on the hemline standards set at the July 1993 Paris couture collections. Return of the short skirts; Statements from major women's wear magazines; Hemline war in 1970; Author's reminiscences about the mini skirt as publisher of `Women's Wear Daily'.