ABC OF ORAL BIOAVAILABILITY: TRANSPORTERS AS GATEKEEPERS IN THE GUT
- The carbohydrate crystalean and colonic microflora modulate expression of glutathione S-transferase subunits in colon of rats. Treptow-van Lishaut, S.; Rechkemmer, G.; Rowland, I.; Dolara, P.; Pool-Zobel, B.L. // European Journal of Nutrition;1999, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p76
Summary Background Glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) are an important class of phase II, predominantly detoxifying, enzymes. The supergene family is composed of several isoenzymes, hetero- and homodimers, with tissue specific distribution and levels of expression. The hypothesis is that a...
- TOXINS AND THE GENETIC CONNECTION. Blaurock-Busch, E. // Original Internist;Sep2012, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p89
The article provides information on the enzyme systems involved in detoxification. It notes that the enzyme cytochrome (CYP) P450 is involved in the metabolism of drugs and adds that its amount present in the liver reflects its importance in the detoxification process. It also mentions that the...
- Pan-African polyspecific antivenom produced by caprylic acid purification of horse IgG: an alternative to the antivenom crisis in Africa. Gutiérrez, J.M.; Rojas, E.; Quesada, L.; León, G.; Núñez, J.; Laing, G.D.; Sasa, M.; Renjifo, J.M.; Nasidi, A.; Warrell, D.A.; Theakston, R.D.G.; Rojas, G. // Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene;Jun2005, Vol. 99 Issue 6, p468
Summary: A polyspecific Pan-African antivenom has been produced from the plasma of horses immunized with a mixture of the venoms of Echis ocellatus, Bitis arietans and Naja nigricollis, the three most medically important snakes in sub-Saharan Africa. The antivenom is a whole IgG preparation,...
- China wages war on opium trade. Tefft, Sheila // Christian Science Monitor;6/15/95, Vol. 87 Issue 140, p7
Reports on the attempt of Kunming Forced Detoxification Center to curb the drug trade in Yunnan Province, China. Increase in the number of drug addicts and AIDS patients; Low success rate of the control programs.
- CALIFORNIA BUDGET MAY ENDANGER DRUG COURT. // Guidepoints: Acupuncture in Recovery;Jun2003, p8
Reports on the reduction of the budget of the Drug Court's acupuncture detoxification-based treatment program in Sacramento, California. Budget problem in the state; Effectiveness of the program; Number of individuals served by the program.
- Attitudes to drug abuse. Basson, John V. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/29/1986, Vol. 292 Issue 6524, p847
Focuses on the medical services for the treatment of drug abuse. Implications of detoxification for humane withdrawal; Confusions concerning the legal response to drug abuse; Demands in the local differences in the pattern of drug abuse.
- Use of psychiatric drug treatment services by heroin users from general practice. Bucknall, Aidan B.V.; Robertson, J. Roy; Strachan, James G. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);4/12/1986, Vol. 292 Issue 6526, p997
Investigates the use of psychiatric drug treatment services for the detoxification of heroin addicts in Scotland. Effectiveness of the service in relation to the pattern of voluntary remission and relapse of the addicts; Increase in the number of referrals to the center; Role of drug addicts in...
- SPECIALIST CLINIC OPENS TO HELP CLUBBERS WHO USE DESIGNER DRUGS. // Nursing Standard;10/5/2011, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p9
Nurses have joined other healthcare professionals to offer the UK's first specialist clinic for people who have taken 'designer' drugs.
- Do they really help? // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;4/21/2011, Vol. 74 Issue 38, p11
The article offers information on the negative effects of taking detoxification diets which are designed to promote herbs, pills and potions to rid the body of impurities.